Fighting "RAM" air question.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99 MAX

Reaction score
I have the K&N pod filters with dynojet stage7, full 4-2-1, ram air head wind gust makes it cut out, it has air correctors, what are my options here? modified air box? and would I need to remove the correctors or not, what do have for me Sean? I'm ready.

Do you have the overflow tubes in place? The connections can be hooked up near the scoop bolt locations.

sorry for my ignorance on the tubes, the tubes from each carb that I'm thinking are vent hoses are all bunched together hanging rearward and a little exposed at the right side close to the frame.

sorry for my ignorance on the tubes, the tubes from each carb that I'm thinking are vent hoses are all bunched together hanging rearward and a little exposed at the right side close to the frame.

Those are the ones Sean's talking about. They are four black hoses coming from the L shaped vent tube on each carb.
They need to be up near the top of the tank cover in their original location. The scoop bolt location is a good place to tie wrap them too.
Or removed completely, I don't know if its really ok to run without them at all but that's how I have run my stage 7 in the past W/O them with no problems.
I'm currently running with them installed.

The way they are now is for sure something that could cause a problem since the air rushing past them can cause a Venturi suction on the end of the hose/s lowering the bowl pressure and making it difficult for fuel to move out of the bowl and into the carb throat.

Thanks Rusty and Sean, that makes perfect sense, I will tie them to the scoop mounts and see how she does, this gives me hope.:clapping:

After looking at pics of the O.F hoses on other Max's here I can see mine have been cut off to where they are about 10" long, I bought some new hose to run them up and tie off at the scoop mounts, do the open ends on the hose face forward up near the scoop mount? I bought the bike with the stage 7 already on it so I'm learning where stuff was before and after as I go, Thanks.

The original mounting points were on the outside edge of the top of the factory air box. Very near the scoop mount bolts that are the higher ones right under neath the edge of the tank cover.
You could zip tie them to the hoses that come from your front two air filters so they're laying on top of the filter. Or anywhere where they don't get air jammed into them that would pressurize the bowls or air whipping past them that would create suction.

Or you could ask if anyone a a spare #53 & #54 which is where the OE breather hoses terminate.

picture.php

Routed all four hoses up and around the filters zipped together with the puke can hoses facing rearward, did a clip down on the slide needles, replaced a suspect vacuum hose {front left carb}, sync'ed the carbs and took it out into the cold gail force winds we're having today and it ran smooth as silk, no stumble, just light throttle 75 mph and she was sailing without issue and of course one full on blast of V boost thru the gears is always required before putting her back in the barn, Thanks for the tips Rusty, I think she's cured, fingers crossed.

Latest posts

Back