Finally Happened!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
Good morning Max O Rama Riders,
Of all the yrs Ive ridden the Vmax, always thought about it, did not worry about it until now when I was on a long run. I smelled burning oil. Im thinking, no vehicles in front of me burning oil, no two strokes around, I was coming up on a red lite. Pulled over quickly, and then I saw it. The entire rear end and underneath the motor was oil. Apparently, my front tire must of kicked up something and of course, punctured the spin on oil filter. The hole was a nice horizontal puncture, as if a piece of metal hit it just right. Im always scanning when I ride, but did not see nor hear nor feel any impact. The oil light did not come on until I started to smell the burn, meaning it just happened. Anyway, no harm other than a nice fricking mess, saturated back tire, burned on oil etc. So, being out in the middle of no where, well, actually Rt. 5 (the Mission) between Williamsburg and Richmond Va. I was able to manage to have someone grab a spin on at AutoZone, K&N, about a qt. of oil, half of it needed (303) can you believe it? they had it on the shelf! So, my next plan is to make or find some kind of shielding to protect the filter. Some kind of half cup shroud if you will.
Anyone have this problem? I meant to snap a pic, but was distraught in the DIW moment. (dead in the water)

First time I've heard of that happening.Good thing you stopped immediately.

I once encountered a like-new allen key which neatly-punctured my week-old Dunlop rear tire, on another bike. Fortunately, I was only a couple miles from home. I rode home in 1st gear, and junked the tire.

I had something similar happen to me a few years back on a Hayabusa. I purchased and installed one of these on all my bike since: http://kandpengineering.com/product/s1-2/
Now the thought is never on my mind of it ever happening again. The same filter fits both Gen 1 & 2. Well worth the investment and piece of mind.

I had something similar happen to me a few years back on a Hayabusa. I purchased and installed one of these on all my bike since: http://kandpengineering.com/product/s1-2/
Now the thought is never on my mind of it ever happening again. The same filter fits both Gen 1 & 2. Well worth the investment and piece of mind.
Anyone else running this reusable filter? It solves the puncture issue, which I admit never occured to me.I run an adapter & spin on filters. I've never herd of a filter getting damaged like this. But now I'm thinking. Hmmm.

It seems to me this placement of the spin on rite behind the tire and as much crap is on the roads, that this does not happen more often. We do FOD walk downs periodically when I flew back in the day, hell, even had a flat on the front landing gear sitting on the TARMAC! If anything, the filter is peppered and pitted from shit hitting it though. Since it happened, I'm gonna fix it. I know all about the Scotts reusable filter setup, sounds like good engineering, just did not head in that direction, its worth a look now!

It seems to me this placement of the spin on rite behind the tire and as much crap is on the roads, that this does not happen more often. We do FOD walk downs periodically when I flew back in the day, hell, even had a flat on the front landing gear sitting on the TARMAC! If anything, the filter is peppered and pitted from shit hitting it though. Since it happened, I'm gonna fix it. I know all about the Scotts reusable filter setup, sounds like good engineering, just did not head in that direction, its worth a look now!

Know all about those FOD walks, morning ritual for 10 years! replaced more than a few F15 tires. Let us know what you come up with, I tried a few self made things but they always seemed to be just band-aid, I wanted a permanent fix. You might come up with something better than the K&P and less expensive to try on Max's new stable mate.

Hey Guys, K&N has it handled for $20.00. Here is the link... https://starriderperformance.com/k-n-oil-filter-chrome-09-19-all/ . I have ridden all over the country on mine and that never has happened. Man to think if it happened at some locations, WOW...
I got mine free from Advanced Auto. When I buy oil for my truck it comes free in a package deal. They let me select the filter I want. Then I buy a regular filter for the truck. Also there is almost always a discount coupon code to use there.

Hey yes, very cool. A buck cheaper and another alternative source. Thanks for that. :)

Back