Floating Rotors - non floating

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSGU1-4936

Reaction score
Can anyone tell me what the benefit of using a floating rotor as to a non floating rotor.

Do you get better braking distance??, Are certain calipers only made for a floating rotors.

Thanks,

Ron

:ummm:

The racers on the track say you do. not sure how much it would help on our tank. They also make noise because of the way the disk is fastened to the carrier, it is loose, hence the term floating.

Can anyone tell me what the benefit of using a floating rotor as to a non floating rotor.

Do you get better braking distance??, Are certain calipers only made for a floating rotors.

Thanks,

Ron

The main advantage to using floating rotors is they run cooler under heavy braking. The hotter your brakes get, the less braking force they can generate. A non floating rotor will warp quicker than a floating one. If you do the type of riding that requires a lot of heavy braking (canyon racing, mountainous terrain) then floating rotors can make a difference. Every day, normal riding you won't see a big difference. I don't know of any motorcycle caliper that can't be used with either type of rotor as long as it's the proper size.

You aren't in the habit of making hell runs up and down Mount Fuji, are you?

You have floating rotors on the bike stock for 93 and up anyway (on the front).

Sean

Thanks,

Ron

Floating rotors are really used on bikes that are going to be road racing. The Max comes stock with them but I have Galfer non-floating rotors on my 2006 and they work and look great. Here's a pic but you can't see them very well.

Chris

Attachments

• Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    Vmax done #4 9-11-07.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 38
Back