Flywheel OFF

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

vmaxcruzer

Reaction score
Well my friends I gotta tell ya this is one of the toughest flywheel removals EVER!!
I used everything, engine on its side, (flywheel up) penetrating oil, lots of heat, a 550 inch lb gun, voodoo...Nothing. I broke my dead blow hammer.
I sat back and stared at this thing, fantasizing about finding the guy that installed it and kick his balls up into his stomach.

As I was...I dug out my 20 inch adjustable wrench and a big breaker bar, put the wrench against my hip and pulled HARD, several times till it wouldn't give anymore. Nothing! I even peed a little once on a pull. I figured something was gonna break so I resorted to mind power. As I sat there staring at this damn thing for a good while out of no where it POPPED, jumped up about 5 inches, scared the shit out of me. That was the second time I peed.

So...its off, and the best part is that the teeth on the start gear are perfect, not a scratch or wear mark one. Also the start clutch looks good too, No wear that I could see, three bearings, springs and caps are new looking but the three bolts were about a half turn loose.
I have no problem replacing something (especially this hard to get to) just to be sure but these parts look fine. I see that the factory used a punch to keep the bolts from backing so I'm thinking some red lock tight will do the trick unless someone has a better idea.
Kenny

As I sat there staring at this damn thing for a good while out of no where it POPPED, jumped up about 5 inches, scared the shit out of me. That was the second time I peed.

Good I'm glad to see it worked. I skyped my bro, Moogly and he said he would hook you up for a fee. umm, so don't be too suprised if you have a little testicular shrinkage in the next few days :rofl_200:

Attachments

• VoodooPriest.jpg
    VoodooPriest.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 29
Good I'm glad to see it worked. I skyped my bro, Moogly and he said he would hook you up for a fee. umm, so don't be too suprised if you have a little testicular shrinkage in the next few days :rofl_200:
Who you fool'n? They can't get any smaller...remember I rubbed them off on my old seat cover.:rofl_200:

:rofl_200: My first one did the same thing! The bike was on a lift. It ended up bouncing around on the floor... got all beat up and put a big old dent on the flange.

I must get around to putting up a detailed 3d modelled drawing of the puller I made and share with all.
Unless I just had tin a$$ luck and the fly wheels I pulled were never that tight but it has been very easy to get them off so far.
Mine works on a different principle whereby there is no squashing of the central thread which I believe is counter-productive as energy is wasted on the mashing on the face of the crank snout versus the puller's central shaft/boss.

Their not all like that and usually they come off fairly easy. Just once in a while the fit must be near perfect. I always lay old blanket out now just in case.

Most people don't use the product properly. You should spray the fastener and female threads down with a solvent like brakleen to remove the oil. If they did that with the red they would be sorry they used it when they went to disassemble the next time.

I cant absolutly agree with using anaerobic glue to lock the flywheel bolt.

One, Yama do not use it becouse trully, bolt is not most important element with holding the flywheel.

Second, that next time when you want to remove the flywheel its give you a hell to remove it and dryed glue chips will goes to your lubrication system.

Three, its not nessecery, completly unecessery.

I cant absolutly agree with using anaerobic glue to lock the flywheel bolt.

One, Yama do not use it becouse trully, bolt is not most important element with holding the flywheel.

Second, that next time when you want to remove the flywheel its give you a hell to remove it and dryed glue chips will goes to your lubrication system.

Three, its not nessecery, completly unecessery.

They are not talking about that. They are referring to the 3 x starter clutch bolts which Mr Yamaha stupidly peened over the ends of the threads, which just happen to come loose :bang head:
Using Loctite will hopefully prevent this from reoccurring .

They are not talking about that. They are referring to the 3 x starter clutch bolts which Mr Yamaha stupidly peened over the ends of the threads, which just happen to come loose :bang head:
Using Loctite will hopefully prevent this from reoccurring .
Dohh, sorry :bang head:

I was thinking about flywheel bolt couse i saw using loctice on this localy...

Most people don't use the product properly. You should spray the fastener and female threads down with a solvent like brakleen to remove the oil. If they did that with the red they would be sorry they used it when they went to disassemble the next time.

Yup....if applied properly red locktite = forever

Latest posts

Back