Found BAD news about my 95

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

a113ycat

Reaction score
We put it on the lift today to start working on it. I havent really done much to it since Kyle delivered it back in November. Only starting it to keep the battery up. Haven t even ridden it. I was planning on getting it ready today to pass inspection and registration. Once we got the front and rear wheels off of it I did the check on the front end, Imagine my disappoint ment when the front end fell all the way to the left and the fork bumped the radiator. I looked closer at it and yep the fork stop is cracked and bent back. The bike was either dropped hard or laid over. Im concerned now and will most likely replace the trees. Hopefully there is not going to be any further damage. I also noticed this morning that the starter clutch has a knock in it. Reminiscent of the Virago sound. I am starting to regret selling my 85 even more. Any tips or ideas at this point will be greatly appreciated.

Kyle had a 2003 set with new seals and progressives. That would be a good start. We also have front ends but won't be quite as cheap as he is.

BUT, you can also just either add a bolt through the aluminum to be a stop or build the stop up with weld and reshape it. We've done that before for customers and then coated the trees which lets them look like new.

Odds are the bike was crashed before since it takes some effort to break those stops off. I would still not worry all that much about it.

Sean

We put it on the lift today to start working on it. I havent really done much to it since Kyle delivered it back in November. Only starting it to keep the battery up. Haven t even ridden it. I was planning on getting it ready today to pass inspection and registration. Once we got the front and rear wheels off of it I did the check on the front end, Imagine my disappoint ment when the front end fell all the way to the left and the fork bumped the radiator. I looked closer at it and yep the fork stop is cracked and bent back. The bike was either dropped hard or laid over. Im concerned now and will most likely replace the trees. Hopefully there is not going to be any further damage. I also noticed this morning that the starter clutch has a knock in it. Reminiscent of the Virago sound. I am starting to regret selling my 85 even more. Any tips or ideas at this point will be greatly appreciated.

Sorry to hear this, I'd pull the front end for further inspection. Maybe a set of used tree's or like Sean said a whole used front end. Look carefully for cracks and other damage like you mentioned. I hope it's not too expensive a job.
Steve

Kyle had a 2003 set with new seals and progressives. That would be a good start. We also have front ends but won't be quite as cheap as he is.

BUT, you can also just either add a bolt through the aluminum to be a stop or build the stop up with weld and reshape it. We've done that before for customers and then coated the trees which lets them look like new.

Odds are the bike was crashed before since it takes some effort to break those stops off. I would still not worry all that much about it.

Sean
We dropped the front end and did a little welding to it with the TIG then knocked it down and shaped it with the die grinder. It looks like it will work for now but I will most likely be changing it out very soon. I want to go with an inverted front end eventually anyway so that will fix that then. Thanks for the tip Sean.

We dropped the front end and did a little welding to it with the TIG then knocked it down and shaped it with the die grinder. It looks like it will work for now but I will most likely be changing it out very soon. I want to go with an inverted front end eventually anyway so that will fix that then. Thanks for the tip Sean.

We've had quite a few of these kind of triples come thru here, & have never had one twisted from this kind of fall;
It's pretty simple to grind the factory stop off both sides, then drill & tap for a similiar sized Allen head bolt...Works just fine, & no reason to replace anything else.

However, the front wheels are VERY easily warped from this kind of crash...
Make sure you spin that front wheel, & watch carefully for a side to side wobble.

Hope this helped;
Good luck with it!

dude, that sucks. when it rains ...
Rain-animated-animation-rain-smiley-emoticon-000400-large.gif

But USDs could be a nice consolation, ya? You sure the Monkey didn't sneak out and crack the stops?
Suspicious_DXD5FP.gif

We've had quite a few of these kind of triples come thru here, & have never had one twisted from this kind of fall;
It's pretty simple to grind the factory stop off both sides, then drill & tap for a similiar sized Allen head bolt...Works just fine, & no reason to replace anything else.

However, the front wheels are VERY easily warped from this kind of crash...
Make sure you spin that front wheel, & watch carefully for a side to side wobble.

Hope this helped;
Good luck with it!

We got the lower triple repaired and it looks good as new. When we pulled the front end we put the front wheel on the balancer and checked it with and without the tire. No warps or bends any where. I replaced the brake pads all the way around. We pulled the rear wheel and did the same checks on it. No problems there either. Also inspected the frame and swing arm no damage found. After all the effort I took the bike for inspection and registration yesterday and rode it about 35 miles. It is running well tracking straight and Boosting like its supposed to. No Hard shift issues with the transmission either. Its turning out better than I initially thought! The clanking starter clutch sound went away after we charged the battery for a bit. Is this something indicative of a weak battery or a repair needing to be done? Im not sure:confused2: But at any rate Bad news turned good:punk::punk:
I will still be doing the MODS that I want to and the MODS that I have to. Gotta keep that Monkey happy right??

i do believe the clankity starter clutch is showing symptoms of being hit with a weak battery. when i learned that i had to get in there to at least tighten down the loose bolts, i learned from others that a strong battery will help, if not prevent, this from occurring. i don't know, but i imagine the more veteran-folks will correct me if i'm wrong, but if the SC is showing signs of loose bolts, a stronger battery is only postponing the inevitable. or perhaps with a fresh battery, the symptoms will not progress and you'll be fine as long as it's strong. dunno.

We got the lower triple repaired and it looks good as new. When we pulled the front end we put the front wheel on the balancer and checked it with and without the tire. No warps or bends any where. I replaced the brake pads all the way around. We pulled the rear wheel and did the same checks on it. No problems there either. Also inspected the frame and swing arm no damage found. After all the effort I took the bike for inspection and registration yesterday and rode it about 35 miles. It is running well tracking straight and Boosting like its supposed to. No Hard shift issues with the transmission either. Its turning out better than I initially thought! The clanking starter clutch sound went away after we charged the battery for a bit. Is this something indicative of a weak battery or a repair needing to be done? Im not sure:confused2: But at any rate Bad news turned good:punk::punk:
I will still be doing the MODS that I want to and the MODS that I have to. Gotta keep that Monkey happy right??

Well that sounds a bit better! :biglaugh:

Well, I left work Friday afternoon and rode to Dallas. COLD as hell in the morning but it did warm up nicely. I put a little over 600 miles on the 95 this weekend stayed in Dallas Friday night and left sat morning for Oklahoma spent the day up there and got back home at around 1030 last night. This bike performed as it should I have got to order the brake parts from Morley's the stopping is my only complaint. A couple of times I considered Flintstoning it to a stop!! All in all though great ride and I am proud to say this is the bike that Ill keep til I get the next one.......

Latest posts

Back