Frame Bolts

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Auggie_1970

Reaction score
Hey guys can someone help confirm some bolt sizes for the frame. Previous owner had the engine gaurds on the bike so when I took them off I need to replace with the stock bolts. The rights side I'm fine with, they are a allen head looking bolt which appears to be #7 on this microfiche. The interesting thing is that the microfiche, unless I'm looking at it incorrectly shows something completely different than what I see on my bike. The section I'm looking at is the left frame where the motor mounts are. Theres two bolt holes on my bike both threaded but on the parts diagram it shows that it should be a bolt with what appears to be an acorn bolt, parts 10 &11. Basically I'm looking for the part numbers for the 2 bolts that would attache the motor mount on the left hand side of the bike but like I said mine attached to the frame via a threaded insert. Any help would be very much appreciated..
Thanks
http://www.partforyamaha.com/pages/parts/viewbybrand/2/Yamaha.aspx

Can't see your link,but on my bike it has two bolts on that mount. I replaced mine with stainless cap heads from a kit on Ebay.

I've got a chromed engine mount bolt kit on hand. There are a variety of bolts holding the engine in for sure.

The left side of the bike uses a triangle engine bracket that connects with bolts to the two threaded holes in the frame and then a nut for where it connects to the motor mount via a long double ended rod that connects both mounts. This is for the upper mount we are talking about. I think the two short bolts are 8mm x 1.25 but this is going from memory. One of those two bolt holes do indeed connect with the OEM mounts.

There is a lower mount which connects with 2 long threaded bolts and acorn nut/washer through the frame and cross brace (that the horn is bolted too). Then one long bolt through the motor mount into the cross brace. Those 2 long bolts I believe are also 8mm x 1.25 thread pitch. One of them does go through the OEM engine guard.

Hopefully this will help you clarify a bit.

Sean

Sean, thanks for the info, I sent you a PM about the bolt kit. Whats odd is if you look at this microfiche it shows bolt #10 as if it goes through the frame into a nut , which is completely different than what both you and I are saying...Did they change something at some point or just a goof on their end ?

Attachments

• Vmax Frame.doc
    70.5 KB · Views: 22
Never noticed that before but never bothered to look either. It's incorrect!

Sean

Remember when changing to stainless that you probably want to use A4-80 alloy which is about the same strength as SAE grade 5 or 8.8 metric. A2-70 the most common has about 15% less tensile strength. If your a worry wart like me. Rand

Back