front end fitiment

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

asmalyno

Reaction score
Hey guys I was wondering if a front end from a R6 would fit a max and how much work is it to do the conversion?Thanks!!

Anything can be made to fit, w/enough time and equipment. The question may be, "how much do I spend to do this?"

One of the things to consider is the length of the downtubes/forks. Another is the bike weight. That will require some thinking on the difference between a mid-size sportbike and something close to 200 lbs more. You probably would want the entire front end, complete, including braking & wheel. Don't forget the master cyl.

If you use the search function, you can find many USD front ends, but it's not an inexpensive project. Going to wheels allowing radial tires on the OEM front end is probably a better move for spending a similar amount of $. See below for other front end improvements.

You can add RICOR wave washer stacks, or the same type of mod from yss, or Race-Tech. Race-Tech has 'to your riding weight' fork spring replacements, where Progressive Suspension is more of a '1 size fits all,' pair of progressive-wound fork springs, but they work. For the front brakes, HH pads and stainless steel covered lines to reduce expansion will make changes you can easily feel.

It's not an inexpensive change, but I believe the #1 change which makes the bike much-better is switching wheels & using radial tires. The bike will handle much better especially at higher speeds. Cornering will be improved. The VMax wobble some complain of will be greatly lessened. But, on a bike with an upright seating position and when hitting speeds of 'lose your license' velocity, your posture isn't presenting the same wind resistance as a literbike sportbike or its mid-displacement cousin like an R6. That posture will in and of itself make it less-sure at those excessive speeds of which the bike is capable. Remember you're on a motorcycle which in four city blocks can be doing 120 mph.

Last edited:
Do you want to do this to improve the handling or for looks?
Are you talking USD with conventional or radial callipers?

As my learned friends have alluded to it isn't a cheap option and for starters you will need:
The forks and yokes
The forks extended
The forks re-sprung and probably re-valved
Suitable wheel
Brake callipers
Brake lines (?)
Wheel (and one to match the rear?)
Mudguard
Alternative arrangement to drive speedo

I don't know if the headstock bearings are the same size so this would need to be investigated.

It can be done but IMO it isn't worth it for any handling benefit.
Some Racetech spring and Gold emulators + setting the static sag will give you a front end that can go round corners better then the ability of the majority of riders. It will also leave you sufficient to upgrade the rear shocks.

However, if you like a challenge and cost is not an issue then why not?

Back