Fuel pump leak

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bobzdar

Reaction score
Hi all, about a month ago I went to fire up my vmax (had been sitting since last summer when I ruptured my achilles) and it started leaking fuel from the fuel pump - it looks like the plastic housing has deteriorated. This is actually the 2nd time it's happened, the first time as a result of bad gas. I don't want to replace the fuel pump again with the same plastic housing pump as I'm sure it'll just happen again when it sits with fuel in it over the winter or if I get some questionable gas. Are there any alternatives or ways to ensure it doesn't happen again? I got so frustrated that I'd have to replace the fuel pump again that I just walked away from it for a while but now I want to fix it properly and get out and ride or just sell the thing.

Just wanted to add that I had (or so I thought) stored it properly, added sea foam to the tank and had run it or at minimum filled the carbs about every 2-3 weeks and it ran fine when I started it up. I had actually ridden it once or twice for a quick jaunt around my neighborhood since last summer just to exercise it and I don't think the gas has gone bad or anything. Just frustrated with the crappy fuel pump.

In Europe gas price is like 4 times as much as in the states but we don't have those problems. The minimum octane rate here is 95 and premium gas is 98 octane. Never heard of pump or carbs problems due to bad gas here. You might be able to replace that pump by a different one. Make sure it has the same specs or replace that one with a similar Mitsuba and use better gas, i'd say thats the best option.

I don't think one winter would make that happen, you either got two Lemmon pumps......or something else is making it happen.
Most all the yamaha pumps are pretty much the Same up to about 2000 I think except for the metal housing...after ,02 I think they are all plastic.
I have a older R1 pump on mine and just switched over the metal caps for the gas lines.

If it's leaking from the seal between the metal and plastic, you could just put a new gasket on.
They don't usually leak, just deteriorate or get pinholes and loose pressure.

I don't think one winter would make that happen, you either got two Lemmon pumps......or something else is making it happen.
Most all the yamaha pumps are pretty much the Same up to about 2000 I think except for the metal housing...after ,02 I think they are all plastic.
I have a older R1 pump on mine and just switched over the metal caps for the gas lines.

If it's leaking from the seal between the metal and plastic, you could just put a new gasket on.
They don't usually leak, just deteriorate or get pinholes and loose pressure.

That's exactly what I did on this most recent pump, used an r1 pump and swapped the ends on. It's the plastic portion of the housing has deteriorated and is leaking, the same exact thing that happened to the last pump. I have seen a couple for sale with the same issue "for parts", and one where they PO just sealed up that plastic piece with rtv and ran it without issue. It's not a complicated part so I may just make one out of aluminum round stock so I don't ever have to worry about it again.

Got an 88 that needed a pump. Went to oreillys and got a Mr. Gasket 3-5 psi electric pump. Fits in stock location and so far so good. Plus the pump was only $46.

Sent from my Smart-Ass phone.

Got an 88 that needed a pump. Went to oreillys and got a Mr. Gasket 3-5 psi electric pump. Fits in stock location and so far so good. Plus the pump was only $46.

Sent from my Smart-Ass phone.

Do you have a pic of what it looks like? I ordered a stock used one but I'll keep it as a spare and put one of these on if I can find one, I don't want to deal with the plastic crap deteriorating again.

Is it this one?

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/we...l-Mr--Gasket_5400317-P_N3339K_P|GRP2030P_____

Latest posts

Back