Fuel System Issue.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scorpio37051

Reaction score
I hope someone here can help me. I have a 1985 VMAX that the fuel pump will only run when the switch is on "RES". I have swapped out the fuel Relay three times. Here is what I have done to troubleshoot.
1. The input on the relay is getting 12V when the "RES" / "ON" switch is in the "on" position.
2. The relay works when in the "RES" position.
3. I can take 12V to fuel pump and it runs fine.

There are only a few things in the fuel delivery system I have not changed. Do you think it could be the sending unit. because the other strange thing that happens is that I have removed all the gas from the tank and still get no Fuel light on the gauges. Which I have changed as well. Thanks for any help.:bang head:

Fargo had the same issue and it was a bad fuel light. He switched the gauge pod out so it could've been wiring too. The other thing it could be is the sender unit but I doubt it since your fuel light is non functioning. Does the fuel light come on when you hit the starter button? It should.

I agree. Thought I have not verified that the problem is fixed I did verify that the same problem exists on one of my custom built bikes and it too does not have the bulbs light up on cranking. I checked as fargo did and it is a "test" circuit designed into the system so you can see if the bulbs are working. This is very similar to what most cars do when you first turn the key on.

Sean

Thanks guys. I Have changed out the gauge pod but I will definately check out the light. But my bigger issue is why isn't my fuel relay not working when the switch is in the "ON" position. If I run the bowls dry by leaving the RES/ON switch in the "on" position, Then when I turn the key on and flip the switch to RES the fuel pump will click click , etc.... until the bowls are full. I have looked at the circuitry and replaced the fuel relay 3 times. It great I can run the bike in "RES" but something isn't triggering the fuel relay to send the voltage to the pump when the "RES/ON" switch is in the "ON" position.:ummm:
Thanks for all the help. I love my Max. I just put a Dynojet Stage 1 in her and want to go play, but I would also like to know when I am almost out of fuel.
Thanks

It's all about the bulb. For whatever reason the system needs to "see" the circuit complete for the relay to work. Before you check anything else at least check the bulbs and see if they come on during cranking (part of the test feature and is wired through the diode assembly).

Sean

Latest posts

Back