Gas reserve delimma

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

racerboy

Reaction score
The other day, I meant to approach the reserve level to make sure the switch would actually work, lite comes on etc, a slow glow, ok, the bike as expected, began to die abit, after the switch was flipped, the bike gradually came up to speed and run smooth, only less than a couple miles, I was heading towards a station to fill up, the bike started to run as if Im on fumes, now, for sure, there is enough fuel for all the carbs, but am wondering, upon hitting the reserve point, hitting the switch, bike stumbles, then runs smooth, it begins to run rough again as if it was really almost empty? Is my reserve level threshold lower than expected? Of course, after a fill up, switch off, the bike ran just fine. Any thoughts anyone?

I just had to change my fuel sender because over time, this little thermistor, inside the head of the fuel sender, gets corroded and looses its sensitivity. Mine looked like it was burned up..
Thermistor.jpg

I got caught at the job with no gas and no warning light a few weeks ago..

After the change, when the fuel gets low enough to bring the head of the fuel sender, out of the fuel, it warms up and triggers the warning light to glow, and pump to stop.

Mine was from a 91..

Just something to think about..

The other day, I meant to approach the reserve level to make sure the switch would actually work, lite comes on etc, a slow glow, ok, the bike as expected, began to die abit, after the switch was flipped, the bike gradually came up to speed and run smooth, only less than a couple miles, I was heading towards a station to fill up, the bike started to run as if Im on fumes, now, for sure, there is enough fuel for all the carbs, but am wondering, upon hitting the reserve point, hitting the switch, bike stumbles, then runs smooth, it begins to run rough again as if it was really almost empty? Is my reserve level threshold lower than expected? Of course, after a fill up, switch off, the bike ran just fine. Any thoughts anyone?

How much fuel did it take you to top off the tank after you got to the gas station?

I just had to change my fuel sender because over time, this little thermistor, inside the head of the fuel sender, gets corroded and looses its sensitivity. Mine looked like it was burned up..
View attachment 53763

I got caught at the job with no gas and no warning light a few weeks ago..

After the change, when the fuel gets low enough to bring the head of the fuel sender, out of the fuel, it warms up and triggers the warning light to glow, and pump to stop.

Mine was from a 91..

Just something to think about..
is that a problem to get too?

is that a problem to get too?
Its easy once you have the gas tank out.. Its getting the gas tank out is a PITA..
I had to remove the back tire, remove the side frame bracket that between the edge of the tank and the rear wheel.Also removed one bolt from the shock to allow a little movement for the tank.. Once all hoses are closed off, and all fuel is drained,, I had to wiggle the tank out of the bike.. After that drama is completed. Just 2 bolts are holding the fuel sender in postilion. Be sure that when you order your sender, order the oval rubber 0-Ring seal with it.. yours may be old and may not seal correctly with the new sender.

You may be able to get under the bike, once the back wheel is off.. If so, you should not have to remove the tank from the bike.. Remove the tire guard. You'll see the bottom of the tank and the fuel sender base.

I did mine this way for 2 reasons.. 1), I'm a big guy.. Not easy to get up under there :).. and 2, I wanted to get a good look at the condition of the tank, around the sender unit, to make sure it's clean and makes a good seal..

Don't need fuel leaking.. I'm not Nicholas Cage in Ghost Rider.. :biglaugh:

Good luck..

Im gonna do your method and just remove the beoch. That's whats bad about bikes that are more than 7 to 8 yrs old. Shit goes bad, wears out, dry rots, etc. When I had my R1 race bikes, which were 9 yrs old, hoses, lines etc were starting to harden up, even though my bikes were ridden sparingly during race season, always garaged, been in the rain maybe twice, those materials shelf life are not too bad. I bought this max brand new, took care of it lots, some things just cannot be helped no matter how well you care for the stuff.

some things just cannot be helped no matter how well you care for the stuff.
You are so right about that.. Especially Rubber items.. Rubber deteriorates by itself over time..

When I picked up my used 91, the PO had brand new flame tread tires front and back. Those boys looked sharp as shit. They were so new that the little rubber nobbies were almost gone on the ground tread area of the tires. I had to get rid of them because they had dry rot cracks developing around the walls. Looked like he put new tires on the bike, then let it sit for years..

Back