Gen 1 vs newer Porsche

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
One of my most memorable Vmax blasts was against a Porsche 911 around the I 275 Bypass around Columbus OH. Prolonged speeds at 130 and full twist when things were straight. That was in 86 on my 85. Good times.

I 275 Cincinnati? or I 270 Columbus? Too many pot holes for 130 anywhere in Ohio now.

0-80 as fast as I can is my enjoyment. Top speed never really did it for me. I liked curves for a while, dragging the pegs. Until I met my match on one I wasn't expecting over the crest of a hill.

many years ago a guy in an open top porsche pulled along side me at some traffic lights, he had a lady with him and he was revving the car in a showing off manner, he was in the lane to 'supposedly' turn left and I was in the lane for going straight ahead which was a narrow road, I was on my XR600 supermoto and when the lights changed I just took off and left him a way behind, I got to 60mph and then just stayed at that speed which was the speed limit for that road, he came up behind me and was obviously angry by how he was revving (I had no mirrors) but I just cruised until the road got wider and then let him pass, he went by so quickly but I could see his face red with anger and/or embarrassment and his companion looked at me while laughing, I laughed too,
a punchy single cylinder motorcycle is fast away from a stop but runs out of steam not long after, great fun though

I had a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass that was rusty, dented and stripped of all the interior except the front seat. I called it my OldsmoTruck. I used it to haul cement block to build my garage and other truck uses. It had a 4 bbl Rocket 350 V8. Being light, with a strong motor, it would also haul ass. One day at a stop light these kids in a new BMW pulled up next to me (probably dad's). They were laughing at my car, so I rev'ed the engine, when the light turned I left them in the dust. They would not look at me at the next light while I was laughing at them :). A day I'll never forget.

I had a 1972 Oldsmobile Cutlass that was rusty, dented and stripped of all the interior except the front seat. I called it my OldsmoTruck. I used it to haul cement block to build my garage and other truck uses. It had a 4 bbl Rocket 350 V8. Being light, with a strong motor, it would also haul ass. One day at a stop light these kids in a new BMW pulled up next to me (probably dad's). They were laughing at my car, so I rev'ed the engine, when the light turned I left them in the dust. They would not look at me at the next light while I was laughing at them :). A day I'll never forget.
After the Cutlass emerged with its new body, I'd say it was the '68 model year, Hot Rod did a series running months on the development of the mid-size car as an entertaining ride which could both serve as a family hauler, and also haul the family, at-speed. I recall they messed-with the distributor, the carb, and one of the budget changes they touted to make it hook-up at the track better, they put a set of JC Penny street-legal slicks on it. What!!! JC Penny slicks???

Yes JC Penny sold all-sorts of things besides clothes for the family: sporting goods, appliances, and yes, car parts. The street-legal drag slicks had a few tread to-meet the required federal standards of the day, laughably-few, compared to "pedestrian-friendly" cars of today, with all their requirements. So, drop-in at your local JC Penny, throw some street-legal drag slicks in the trunk, get 'em fitted with some wheels from your local junkyard, and I'll see ya at US131 Martin Dragway! And now, time for some Ike Turner. "Blow your horn, Raymond, blow!" This song! Ask your grandpa, if ya-gotta.

Last edited:
Years ago, I had a '68 928. Great machine. I was in France and happened to get on a new autoroute...I was the only one there...it was completely empty and I had brand new tires. I backed off at around 160...fun, but dangerous...in France, they put you under the jail. I was flying F-111s at the time and we would hang low over the desert North of Vegas and get to about M1.1 before we ran out of steam (down low...like 100 feet). You would see the ground speed tick over 1000kph. That's knots, not klicks. At altitude, on a maintenance speed run, I have seen M2.34, but you are so high, you really can't tell except for the miles rolling by quickly (around 30 a minute). I have always loved fast. Years ago, I had a Kaw 750 that I continually tried to kill myself o. In Texas one time, I passed a guy and when I looked down, I was doing 160. One rock in the wrong place and its bye, bye, Bozo. I sold that machine when it became evident I was overwrought...every time I looked at the speedo, it said 80 or better, and it didn't matter if I was in a subdivision or on an open road. An old guy now, I am back in the motorcycle business and thought I had calmed down. There is a little sort of a jag in a small valley on a 25mph city street about a mile from me. Fun spot. I looked at my speedo last summer and it said 70+. I guess I'm not over it....

I 275 doesn't go around Columbus, its around Cincinnati.
A good running VMAX is tough to beat at lower speeds but lots of the newer cars will eat it up over 100 mph.

Years ago, I had a '68 928. Great machine. I was in France and happened to get on a new autoroute...I was the only one there...it was completely empty and I had brand new tires. I backed off at around 160...fun, but dangerous...in France, they put you under the jail. I was flying F-111s at the time and we would hang low over the desert North of Vegas and get to about M1.1 before we ran out of steam (down low...like 100 feet). You would see the ground speed tick over 1000kph. That's knots, not klicks. At altitude, on a maintenance speed run, I have seen M2.34, but you are so high, you really can't tell except for the miles rolling by quickly (around 30 a minute). I have always loved fast. Years ago, I had a Kaw 750 that I continually tried to kill myself o. In Texas one time, I passed a guy and when I looked down, I was doing 160. One rock in the wrong place and its bye, bye, Bozo. I sold that machine when it became evident I was overwrought...every time I looked at the speedo, it said 80 or better, and it didn't matter if I was in a subdivision or on an open road. An old guy now, I am back in the motorcycle business and thought I had calmed down. There is a little sort of a jag in a small valley on a 25mph city street about a mile from me. Fun spot. I looked at my speedo last summer and it said 70+. I guess I'm not over it....
F-111's? Sweet another SAC Warrior!

F-111's? Sweet another SAC Warrior!
Negative sir. F-111, the fighter, not FB-111, the bomber. Two different aircraft, flown two different ways. I spent my time in Mother SAC, but it was in missiles, not airplanes. However, I salute you, brother, for still being in the mix!

Are you speaking of a Porsche 928? I think there's a typo, they were first built in 1978. They were technologically-advanced, many air-cooled 911 drivers hated them. The ~275 cu. in. engine made 240 HP which was good for the time, the Trans-Am with either a Pontiac 400 or the Olds 403 cu. in. engines only made 180 HP. My inline-5 cyl aluminum DOHC ten year-old GMC makes more-than that Porsche, and it's 48 cu. inches smaller.

Going-off memory, the F-111 is the Aardvark? That's the plane designed to use ground-following radar to fly nuclear ordinance at low altitudes to the target?

1619636778809.png

I went to the NASA website to calculate ground speed, at 35,000 ft Mach 1=663 mph so Mach 2.34=1,551 mph, or 25.85 miles per minute. Yikes! Mach Number (nasa.gov)

I see since I began writing you added that it's the F-111 fighter. This is the bomber. And on the L-M website, I see that it does talk-about the ground-following radar. A scary statistic: in 1966(!): The F-111 set a record for the longest low-level supersonic flight (172 miles at less than 1,000 feet altitude) F-111 | Lockheed Martin Can you imagine being in the flight path of that? You'd have a couple of seconds of "what-th'..." and it would already be out of sight. I attended an air show at Homestead FL Air Force Base, the most-impressive flight was a fly-by at low altitude by a fighter, I don't recall what it was but I suspect an F-15, at about 500 mph. The announcer told us, here it comes, and they passed so-quickly, you barely heard it coming and going. When it was overhead, (it was not directly-overhead, they passed-by maybe a quarter-mile away) there was a wall of overwhelming sound, babies and little kids started crying, and the departure of the fighter was being serenaded by hundreds of automobile and truck burglar alarms activated.

Last edited:
So did I, it’s awful, and very run of the mill.
Well, we all can choose to-listen to what we like. If you do some research on the performer and the song, you might come-up with a bit-more respect for the ditty. Or-not, which is your choice. But, you will have learned something about a powerful force across generations, called rock & roll. I may be a bit prejudiced about this product of the medium, I have a collection of 2,500+ L.P.'s , most of-which are rock & roll, from the 1950's to the 1990's. Things which held minimal interest for me at age 16 now appeal to me as I become a septuagenarian. I know more, and most of my reading is twentieth century history. Having lived through half of it, I have a healthy respect for what happened, and what didn't happen. Most-recently, I've been reading about the history of the USAF and the Strategic Air Command. Interesting that the SAC discussion turns-up here.

You better take-back what you said about Ike, or I'm gonna slam Cliff Richards, Marianne Faithful and Pet Clark.

desert_max:
About your Holeshot Performance exhaust, I went to a mall, and parked my KZ1000J with a Kerker 4/1 next-to an entrance in the parking garage, it was a mall entrance where the tenant was a bank branch. My bike was parked under a conspicuous wall-wart of an alarm-bell, painted red, it looked like cast-iron.

When I was done shopping, I climbed onto my bike, fired it up, and as the engine caught, and I blipped the throttle, preparing to depart, I almost had a heart-attack, as the bank alarm bell, underneath of-which I was parked, began clanging furiously! It was L-O-U-D! I quickly-departed, not-waiting to-see if guards were erupting from the bank entrance, guns drawn, ready to accost any thieves.

Last edited:
2500 LPs!!? Holy schidt! I thought I had held onto a bunch with a number somewhere around 600. Probably 40 or 50 of which have been acquired in the last five years as the vinyl resurgence has happened.

Many of my earlier specimens have not stood the test of time very well I’m afraid. That’s too bad as number of them would be worth a fair amount of coin if they were in better shape. The Blind Faith girl with the model airplane first pressing stamp comes to mind. I also have the Rolling Stones first record “England’s newest hit makers”, recorded in monaural.

Also, ~800 CDs and 130GB of digitized sound.

And the real kicker is that I don’t listen to any of it anymore! I am a Spotify convert. That is almost exclusively my source these days.

So much for a “collection“. Still, there’s a certain satisfaction about having a library of primary source material as opposed to something far less tangible that gets “streamed”.

An old funny story, well to me...back in about '76/'77 somewhere I rode an old rigid Shovelhead, loved that old bike, but I came out of a little Giovanni's pizza place in SW Virginia, when I went there I backed the old bike in just about in front of the place. When I came out and kicked the bike to life and let it warm up with some healthy throttle blips a buddy came over and we talked for a bit...long story short the local guy on the radio told me a few weeks later that I pretty much them down for about 15 minutes as all he could couldn't talk on the mike and when I'd blip the throttle with the drag pipes it was screwing up his turntable... 😅

Fire-medic:
When I was done shopping, I climbed onto my bike, fired it up, and as the engine caught, and I blipped the throttle, preparing to depart, I almost had a heart-attack, as the bank alarm bell, underneath of-which I was parked, began clanging furiously! It was L-O-U-D! I quickly-departed, not-waiting to-see if guards were erupting from the bank entrance, guns drawn, ready to accost any thieves.

An old funny story, well to me...back in about '76/'77 somewhere I rode an old rigid Shovelhead, loved that old bike, but I came out of a little Giovanni's pizza place in SW Virginia, when I went there I backed the old bike in just about in front of the place. When I came out and kicked the bike to life and let it warm up with some healthy throttle blips a buddy came over and we talked for a bit...long story short the local guy on the radio told me a few weeks later that I pretty much them down for about 15 minutes as all he could couldn't talk on the mike and when I'd blip the throttle with the drag pipes it was screwing up his turntable... 😅

Fire-medic:
Was the broadcast studio next-to the pizza joint? Did it (the bike) have a magneto? They can cause radio frequency interference. I'm guessing that the exhaust was aimed at the front window of the radio station, and it caused the window to vibrate, or something. I'm surprised that no one from the radio station came-out and asked you to depart. Interfering with a radio station broadcast is a federal offense since the feds regulate the airwaves. Obviously you were unaware of what was happening. How did you run-into the DJ to have him tell you of the issue?

I used to have an FCC 3rd class radiotelephone operator's license, with broadcast endorsement, when I was in college, and had a radio show on the local radio station.

Well, we all can choose to-listen to what we like. If you do some research on the performer and the song, you might come-up with a bit-more respect for the ditty.

You better take-back what you said about Ike, or I'm gonna slam Cliff Richards, Marianne Faithful and Pet Clark.
Okay point noted and statement taken back, although I really did mean from my personal view as I'm not a blues or early rock & roll fan.

The mere mention of Cliff Richard (no S) was a true kick in the teeth, you don't need to slam him, I'll do it for you :), I'm assuming that was a joke as I did laugh to myself!

I'm a true believer in every taste of music as I studied classical music as a youth, and right now sitting with my Gibson R9 running up and down scales and modes to keep my fingers (and grey matter) operating. My favourite guitarists are mostly USA guys such as Bill Laverty, Vito Bratta, Steve Stevens, but they are rock, and I do appreciate without the earlier styles there would have been allot slower evolution in that area, especially the development of electric guitars and pick-ups from the yanks. It is just my preference mate, nothing intended, I still listen to Punk and David Bowie, and anything that catches my ear.

Vinyl L.P's are becoming very valuable, could be you have a very valuable collection there.

Was the broadcast studio next-to the pizza joint? Did it (the bike) have a magneto? They can cause radio frequency interference. It is a federal offense since the feds regulate the airwaves.

Call me doubting Thomas but I don't believe a motorcycle/car ignition can interfere with a radio station who are using a transmitter that is several orders of magnitude more powerful than the signal from the ignition at the broadcast frequency.

Sure ye older ignition systems could play havoc with a radio in a car but I don't ever recall interference from another car, mind you, that was a while back, but more because I predominantly listened to cassettes and by the time I got behind the steering wheel cars where beginning to have suppressed leads.

Back