Giving up on Vmax

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like Electroglide HD riders the best.

They always carry near complete tool kits everywhere they go.

I jokingly asked one if he had a pipe wrench last time I was up at the skyway.

Pulled it right out. šŸ˜

You'll never be short a tool with one of those guys around.

Nice enough guy ! I am trying to help one on one. Reading thru tons of stuff gets exhausting sometimes. I do very little online help do to the he said she said crap. I offer basically no help on fb . I give some my phone number and they text me constantly. I almost feel like I should charge sometimes. Lol

Last edited:
Also posted in another thread... .
2006 Harley-Davidson Night Rod - motorcycles/scooters - by owner -... (craigslist.org)

Not mine, no one I know (given recent talk of V Rod H-D's, in-lieu of fixing your VMax carburetors):
Probably a <$6K bike, 20K miles, some extras

2006 Harley-Davidson Night Rod with 20,276 miles. Bike is in great shape and runs great. It has a CFR exhaust, DynoJet Power Vision, K&N intake and a Garmin Zumo 395LM motorcycle GPS that can be removed. It's also been lowered 1". Has fresh oil and a new battery that's sitting on a battery tender currently. Has the LED Performance headlight option, LED fork turn signals, LED license plate lights and brake/tail light and rear turn signals. Cover and sissy bar are included. The bike rides great, sounds great, handles well and is just a generally fun bike to ride. It's never been laid down. Selling because I just don't have the time to ride like I used to and didn't put as many miles on it this summer as I'd like. Feel free to text me 740-851 - 9 1 7 8

Well with all these guys saying that I don't want to lift a finger and do anything is showing me that there's a side to this vmax community I'd rather not be apart of. Those more experienced guys are offering me a lot of help and being very generous and I appreciate that. I don't need someone to do things for me. I need information that I haven't been able to get. if i didn't want to lift a finger I would have just paid the money for someone else to fix my problem.

My VRod isn't for sale either...I like em BOTH, just for me personally the VRod fits me better...run ethanol free gas ONLY (as much as possible) and this site has some of the most helpful knowlwdgeable VMax people around. Send your carbs to that dude who graciously offered to square them away and be DONE. If 500 bucks was the only thing standing between me and an operable Gen 1 i'd go for it.

Speaking of which, does anybody here or can anybody recommend someone who can help me with my Road Star? Had carb rebuilt and it wasn't done right. I for one will listen. Thanks

Nice enough guy ! I am trying to help one on one. Reading thru tons of stuff gets exhausting sometimes. I do very little online help do to the he said she said crap. I offer basically no help on fb . I give some my phone number and they text me constantly. I almost feel like I should charge sometimes. Lol
Kyle you forgot the most important info. Put COPS on it......fix it right up....lol

Your advice has been the least helpful. "just do what the other guys are saying." Don't talk to all high and mighty when you don't contribute anything.
I'll build them for you.

You pay for shipping both ways and send me 45 dollars with the carbs and kits. I'll need the money to buy another gallon of this:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/MCR6402
And several cans of this:

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NCB...OkMvkKT1aMluiPjuDyq_yF-LjOiHxL9UaAuVOEALw_wcB
Ship them down here to Atlanta with the kits and the cash and I'll take care of it. I did mine and they're perfect.

But you wont.

You've had offer after offer for over a year now and you're still here crying the same river.

Edit to add: you can buy the kits from Sean Morley. He sells the good ones. The cheap ones you can get online CAN work, so if you must use them, OK.

I have an ultrasonic parts cleaner and I've already bought seans kit. I've stripped every bolt off of this carb so you can't tell me I don't want to lift a finger or I don't want to learn how to fix my problem.

Then you obviously have no idea what you're doing.

Edit to add: Try looking at this guide. Be honest with yourself while looking through it. See if you screwed anything up.

Attachments

• Vmax Carb Rebuild Guide.pdf
    8.3 MB · Views: 30
Last edited:
I'll build them for you.

You pay for shipping both ways and send me 45 dollars with the carbs and kits.

Ship them down here to Atlanta with the kits and the cash and I'll take care of it. I did mine and they're perfect.

But you wont.

Whilst that seems a generous offer, it is made on the assumption the OP made errors during reassembly.

On the assumption that OP did not you'll be repeating exactly the same work with possibly the same result.... and nothing was gained.

If I remember correctly, there was an offer of somebody sending a complee set of working carbs, FIT THOSE. If the problem is fixed, keep them and send others back plus whatever moneys involved. If problem remains, they ain't the problem.

Having your carbs worked on is less likely to yield a result as even if they were tested, they won't be tested on your engine.

I would recommend you take that offer, if it doesn't solve the running issue, SELL THE BIKE.

Whilst that seems a generous offer, it is made on the assumption the OP made errors during reassembly.
Based on the fact he's had the same exact issue for over a year now, I'd put good money on the fact he did.

Edit to add: Try looking at this guide. Be honest with yourself while looking through it. See if you screwed anything up.
I think Naughty G did a great job on the carburetor cleaning guide.

There are a couple things that may help in the assembly, I would like to-add.

If you consult the factory service manual, you will see the picture showing the way the factory labels the piston bores. (attach.)

If you come to the page where Naughty G shows the carburetors numbered, I do not believe he's following the factory method of numbering the cylinders. For the sake of continuity, the pistons/bores and carburetors should follow the same ordinal/numerical order.

Astride the bike:
The #1 (or first) piston, bore, and carburetor should be the left-rear position.

The #2 (or second) piston, bore, and carburetor should be the left-front position.

The #3 (or third) piston, bore, and carburetor should be the right-rear position.

The right-front piston, bore, and carburetor should be #4 (or fourth).

Factory labelling:
Cylinder/piston/carburetor #1: left-rear
Cylinder/piston/carburetor #2: left-front
Cylinder/piston/carburetor #3: right-rear
Cylinder/piston/carburetor #4: right-front

One of the nylon 'top-hat' (their shape) washers for the choke rod to carburetor body fittings, appears to have-lost its hat brim. In the picture, it's labelled as #2. That's something which should be replaced, if yours is in similar shape.

Naughty G caught an error in reassembly for the gas line T-hose. The cross-bar of the molded rubber T-hose has different lengths. Just remember that the long-side goes closest-to the choke lever thumb-tab. This is a good hose to replace. They aren't expensive, and if you order one before beginning work, you won't need to-wait for a parts order in the middle of the job when it gets torn in-half while you're trying to disassemble the carbs.

VMax engine cyl numbers 1-4.png

Naughty G's page:

VMax Naughty G carb choke.png

Let's go back to step 1.
Has the bike ever run correctly or was the rich plug fouling happening from first day of ownership?

If no, what was changed/replaced before this started?

Have the start enrichment plungers been assembled correctly and go fully back when choke is off?

You have a computer and camera, and can use a screwdriver?
Strip the carbs off the bike. Take one of them off the rack, and post pictures, one at a time, with questions if you are unsure of anything. All the help you need is here. Once you've mastered one, the rest is just linkages...

Here you are - my suggestion of a few days ago. All the "help" you'll need, no magic required. Pretty much anyone who can use a screwdriver could do this, or is this not you?
Edit to add - linkages are really important - obviously the synch screw for throttles, but the choke as much,to ensure all the enrichers are closed and open together.

Let's go back to step 1.
For you, that would be reading post one of this thread:

I've had this 98 vmax for about 6 months and I haven't been able to ride more than up the street and back. I can't figure out the carbs. My spark plugs get fouled up very fast. you can smell its extremely rich. I can not figure out how to adjust the carb. A/F screw does nothing. I've changed the air filter. I've pulled the carbs like a hundred times to clean and yes I've done the shotgun and the pea shooter. I'm ready to sell the thing. Is there anything else I can try that I haven't or am I doing something wrong.

OK, so never ran correctly from day 1.

Is engine in standard trim and what is the number on all the jets?

Are spark plugs correct temperature rating?

Back