Good at I.D.'ing cars? Bet this stumps you.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Fire-medic

Staff member
Reaction score
OK, what is it?

1288840260913301674.jpg

1288840260755654570.jpg

Yeah, that's not what I meant, anyone can do 'Properties' and find out or a 'search Google images.'

Who could have identified it from the picture? Knowing what it was? Few and far between.

Flaholic, take down your answer, and see if anyone can identify it w/o using the internet.

Here's one I saw at a luxury car auction many years ago in FL. Don't use the internet! Either you know it or you don't. :damn angry:

Attachments

• what car.pdf
    145.9 KB · Views: 49
Designed for a very special owner, Graham Hill. Yes, an Aston Martin. I have some stills I took at the auto auction where I saw it. The entire top was glass, and it could be darkened via the embedded elements.

I'd a guessed bricklin , .................integrity guessing wrong even when you know the awnser

I'd a guessed bricklin , .................integrity guessing wrong even when you know the awnser

Ain't no Bricklin, Mr. Twisted.
I be knowin', cause I worked at the factory!
GREAT cars, way ahead of their time. Priced to compete with the Corvettes of the time (74-76)
Politics and poor engineering lead to it's demise. Still a legend in this province. many books, and a musical about it's history have been produced.
Cheers!

There used to be a couple Bricklins around where I worked, one white and one orange. I always liked the lines, interesting styling, and unlikely to see yourself on the other side of the intersection.

The auto of the time I really liked was the DeTomaso Pantera, w/its Ford 351 Cleveland, and available through your friendly local Lincoln-Mercury dealer. The current Road & Track has a good article on buying one used, what to beware-of, and tips for a modification plan. An interesting point, when DeTomaso built them in Italy, they used untreated steel, so they began rusting from the inside out before they left the factory, a horror on a unit-construction body. They also had many water traps, which contributed to that issue, said the R&T article. Like the Iso Grifo, the Iso Rivolta, the Griffith, the Bizzarrini, the Jensen FF (all-wheel drive and a 440 Mopar!) all with an essentially hand-built body and American engine.

One of my FL friends inherited some $ (early 1970's) and promptly went out and bought what I consider to be one of the most beautiful designs ever, a DeTomaso Mangusta. He owned it for awhile, and then sold it. I rode in it, and it was very different from what was from Detroit at the time. It was almost dangerous to drive, because of the attention it got from other drivers, who would allow their cars to wander while staring at it. And of course every kid with a Camaro wearing headers and a Holley wanted to race. Supposedly the Mangusta had a nasty handling problem because of its suspension/steering design, he never drove it that hard w/me in it, so I didn't experience that.

Here are some threads for lovers of unusual cars.

http://www.ferguson-museum.co.uk/racing_car.htm

http://www.isobizclub.com/the_cars

images

There used to be a couple Bricklins around where I worked, one white and one orange. I always liked the lines, interesting styling, and unlikely to see yourself on the other side of the intersection.
THIS be the Bricklin "SVI" (Safety Vehicle One), Fire-Medic.

3500 pounds, heavy-duty frame, separate birdcage. Gull-wing doors! Acrylic body panels, on fiberglass substructures. No chrome to rust. Scratches only had to be sanded/buffed out. Came in brown, white, red, green, orange. Only one interior color - brown vinyl.
NO ashtrays. Malcolm Bricklin was ahead of his time. His goal was to produce a safety-oriented sportscar.
Early models had 360 C.I. A.M.C. four-barrel motors, auto or four speed. They rocked!
I remember doing donuts in the parking lot, during nightshifts.:biglaugh:
Last('76) models only had 350 auto Ford engines. Kinda sucked.
Only about 2600 Bricklins were produced.. Initially, all were sent down to Whippany, N.J., distribution center. At one time, there was a five-year waiting list for them. They sold for about 6k. Canadian, about the same price as Corvettes at the time.
I loved working at the plant. I was in the best department- Material Handling. I mostly drove a forklift, delivering parts to the line. Got to chat up all the chicks (half the staff was young women). PARTY CENTRAL, especially at quitting time. Keep in mid this was the mid-70's, free love, drugs, booze, and most everybody in their late teens or early twenties - you get the picture. GOD I MISS THAT PLACE!
Cheers!

Attachments

• Bricklin.jpg
    Bricklin.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 11
This is one of my dream cars... the 1970 Lamborghini Miura SV
(I would add the "eyelashes" around the headlights, something they did not include with the SV from earlier models)
1971-lamborghini-miura-p400-sv-23.jpg

Its an early Chrysler that was made for foreign country. Im unsure which country exactly but Im sure its Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge.

Yes, a Dodge which never saw full volume production. It was not a USA assembled car. To avoid taxes, American cars were often shipped 'knocked down,' not assembled. Imported to countries where they were then assembled by local labor, avoiding the extreme tariff placed on foreign vehicles. This was a proposal for a Chrysler product by a local importer. Only a few were built.

Its an early Chrysler that was made for foreign country. Im unsure which country exactly but Im sure its Chrysler/Plymouth/Dodge.

Not a bad guess.

There was an article in I think R&T about the guy who has the largest store of Lancia spares. He said it was a Ferrari quality at relatively cheap pricing, and that many of the parts are interchangeable. Things like starters, generators or alternators, and other electrical components. They supposedly used castings when a stamped part would suffice, and had a very high build quality. The Lancias were popular with engineers, because with care they would last much longer than USA vehicles. He said he sold a lot of Lancia parts in the Northeast wherever there were precision engineering businesses because those were the people who bought the cars, the engineers who worked in that area.

Lancia made a wicked rally car, the Scorpion. Way ahead of its time.
images
images
images

Back