Harley Davidson Jokes and Bashing.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think "roll-ons" per se; meaning trying to race without downshifting, is plain silly, if you're really serious about outrunning someone if youy are not already in your powerband then you downshift to get there.

It's simply a test invented by magazines, in the real world no one cruises at 65 in 5th and tries to race from that gear unless they want to lose.

I've raced a guy at work on his 113ci S&S fat bastard chopper he built and I've beat him like a stepchild from every speed in any gear except in 1st, but halfway thru 2nd I'm still passing him.

for some reason those choppers with the fat tires dont run as strong as the ones in a stock frame....its not uncommon for say a 113 to be running 90 hp and 105 tq...its like everything else the tune has a lot to do with it...90 % are way over jetted plus the fat tire on the choppers limit them from what pipes they can run...its more for looks....and as you know the wrong pipe and your way down on power....when doing rollons with another v twin your just measuring how the motor is running the power its making ...then we would change jetting or pipes and go again...better then a dyno its shows whats working and what dont.....as far as down shifting against other bikes i didnt care what gear they where in at highway speed.....mine in fifth pulled better then if i started in 4.......if you wanted to see the power of your max to anothermax...banging gears will tell you nothing except whos the better rider.....get side by side on the highway in 5th and roll it on..the stronger better tuned motor for the street will pull the other ...5th gear gives you a good long look at the power difference

What about something like a Superhawk or one of the big Ducatis or Aprilias? Those are big twins. I wonder what their roll on times are like? Of course, those bikes are geared for the whole spectrum and have enormous top speed, so they may lose out in that 80-120 zone. I bet if you took one of the more serious HP Euro twins and geared it down, it would have no problem pulling an S&S equipped hog on a roll. The power to weight ratio would dictate the advantage, even if they lost on torque. Less to haul overall. But, again, we are speculating and doing alot of "what if's".

The thing that scares me is that so many of those engines get stuffed into 15 foot long hard tail choppers. Those bikes have to be death traps.

I think I would quite enjoy one of those big inch S&S motors dropped into a Sportster and set up XR750 Flat track style. THAT would be cool, and look cool too.

I have come to the realization that I really like light bikes. A heavy bike does bring some "solidity" to the table, but a light bike is so easy to ride.

Mike

believe it or not i look at a web site last year about rollon times when thinking about a buell....the buells where right up there with those bikes
..S&S makes a 110 sporster motor know one will touch you up to 140

for some reason those choppers with the fat tires dont run as strong as the ones in a stock frame....its not uncommon for say a 113 to be running 90 hp and 105 tq...its like everything else the tune has a lot to do with it...90 % are way over jetted plus the fat tire on the choppers limit them from what pipes they can run...its more for looks....and as you know the wrong pipe and your way down on power....when doing rollons with another v twin your just measuring how the motor is running the power its making ...then we would change jetting or pipes and go again...better then a dyno its shows whats working and what dont.....as far as down shifting against other bikes i didnt care what gear they where in at highway speed.....mine in fifth pulled better then if i started in 4.......if you wanted to see the power of your max to anothermax...banging gears will tell you nothing except whos the better rider.....get side by side on the highway in 5th and roll it on..the stronger better tuned motor for the street will pull the other ...5th gear gives you a good long look at the power difference

I definitely agree that a roll-on, repeated under the same conditions after making various mods, is a very valid test of whether a modification made an improvement or not. It is valid for that.....

My argument is that a roll-on in whatever gear isn't a valid test of "the fastest bike" if....... just becuase you've got a big v-twin in it's torque peak band cruising along in 5th gear, that you arbitrarily limit it's opponent to that same gear wether their engine is in it's torque peak or not, it's not a real world test, nor will it happen in the real world.

I't be like asking you to start in 2nd or 3rd gear at the dragsstrip, or telling me I can't go past 4th gear at the strip, it's just silly to use a roll-on as any thing other than a time test of modifications done for comparisons sake.

I've had so many V-twins try to "race" me on the highway, where they pull up, match speeds, then go full throttle and I don't even know I'm racing, figure out "hey, I must be in a race or sumpin'" and downshift 1 or 2 gears and wax thier ass, after they "pul" on me maybe 3-4 lengths, doesn't mean they won shit; just like the classic "ricer fly-by" from the sport compact bunch.......

That same bike runs me again, we BOTH know there's a race, match speeds, I downshift till I'm running 6500-7000 rpm and I haven't ever had any v-twin even pull me by 1" much less a length.

Rolling resistance, period. Coming from a drag racing background you NEVER run more tire than you need. All it does is slow you down. Those huge tires on those choppers are speed and acceleration killers, plain and simple.

Mike

I definitely agree that a roll-on, repeated under the same conditions after making various mods, is a very valid test of whether a modification made an improvement or not. It is valid for that.....

My argument is that a roll-on in whatever gear isn't a valid test of "the fastest bike" if....... just becuase you've got a big v-twin in it's torque peak band cruising along in 5th gear, that you arbitrarily limit it's opponent to that same gear wether their engine is in it's torque peak or not, it's not a real world test, nor will it happen in the real world.

I't be like asking you to start in 2nd or 3rd gear at the dragsstrip, or telling me I can't go past 4th gear at the strip, it's just silly to use a roll-on as any thing other than a time test of modifications done for comparisons sake.

I've had so many V-twins try to "race" me on the highway, where they pull up, match speeds, then go full throttle and I don't even know I'm racing, figure out "hey, I must be in a race or sumpin'" and downshift 1 or 2 gears and wax thier ass, after they "pul" on me maybe 3-4 lengths, doesn't mean they won shit; just like the classic "ricer fly-by" from the sport compact bunch.......

That same bike runs me again, we BOTH know there's a race, match speeds, I downshift till I'm running 6500-7000 rpm and I haven't ever had any v-twin even pull me by 1" much less a length.
rusty i agree....cant argue with that ..has nothing to do with the fastest or quickest bike ... any machine you own you put it in its power band wind it up like a rubber band and the race is on....its more for two max or same kind of bike to see who has what......theres no substitute for high rpm hp...or high tq in low rpm...im very surprized with the max torque and the down shifts i dont have to make to make power.....if your max had 60 tq like most high hp bikes ,but the same hp...the whole ride and feel would change...your track times would be the same but in the street where you ride 99% the performance would suffer

I still want an XB12S for a hooligan bike, and hope to have one sooner than later.
i still go on the buell xb motorcycle fourm from time to time and read around...i think there one of the better looking sport bikes made its like the max its a cult bike.......guy where i hang has the new buell with the new motor and is eating up all the foreign sport bikes he rides with his buddys tell me this bike goes real good......for me just wanting to own one bike for now i went with the max

Yeah that 1125 is a bad beast. I just want a hooligan bike for a second bike. Then I'll get the Rocket III for a 3rd. :D It's only money, ya can't take it with you, and you'll make more tomorrow! :D

Yeah that 1125 is a bad beast. I just want a hooligan bike for a second bike. Then I'll get the Rocket III for a 3rd. :D It's only money, ya can't take it with you, and you'll make more tomorrow! :D
that 1125 may end up in the hooligan bike

When I decided last year to ?come out of retirement??and get back up on a bike, and after many prior years of building, owning and riding chopped HD?s, my initial thoughts were to get on a 1200 Sporty? I never bought into the ?girl?s bike? thing, and I liked the Sporty for the fact that it would have been pretty easy for a man my age to handle?

While looking for that special one, I ?discovered? the Vmax?and after careful consideration, and finding the right low mileage one that needed a home, I bought the one I have now, and most assuredly the last bike I?ll ever own.

At the time, I was also considering Honda?s V 65. Back in the late 80?s a good friend and former HD riding parter from out of state, brought his new V 65 down to attend a Daytone Bike Week with us?I was real impressed with that one?It would out-pull my Shovelhead stroker in any gear, and even seemed real ?reliable?. He had tried more than a few times to get me to ride it?but I was still very much a Harley man, and "It?s like f?n? a fat girl?might feel good, but you wouldn?t want anyone to see you doin? it". But after doing a lot of research, I decided the Max was even WAY more bang for the buck then the V 65, and it is?

I have NO regrets about going ?metric? at this point, but it really troubles me to read the venom from SOME of you regarding HD?s ( in other threads as well)..?At one time, and for a long time, the only American built bike out there? They may not be as fast as many others, but they are direct decendents of those old classics, and still command a lot of respect from anyone with an iota of understanding about their history.

One retard says "all Harley riders are fags" in an open forum?tell that to either of my two HD owner sons face to face, and see what happens next? another, all HD owners are ?posers??admittedly some are?But I would not suggest trying to sort out which are and which are not, unless you?re well covered by a good hospitalization policy?another says "crawl back under your rock"? I relate to all these kinds of remarks, the same way I used to relate to assholes that would talk shit on a CB radio back in my OTR trucking days?99% are cowards who would NEVER have the balls to say what they say in a face to face situation.

I?m real proud of my Vmax?I take a lot of good natured ribbing from both of my sons, and give it back when necessary? And I?ll fully respect you as a rider, regardless of your choice of rides, IF you show some common sense and decency toward others that might be different from what you think is the best way to go. If not, step right up?attitude adjustments are another great pleasure of mine.

Uncle Philthy

When I decided last year to ?come out of retirement??and get back up on a bike, and after many prior years of building, owning and riding chopped HD?s, my initial thoughts were to get on a 1200 Sporty? I never bought into the ?girl?s bike? thing, and I liked the Sporty for the fact that it would have been pretty easy for a man my age to handle?

While looking for that special one, I ?discovered? the Vmax?and after careful consideration, and finding the right low mileage one that needed a home, I bought the one I have now, and most assuredly the last bike I?ll ever own.

At the time, I was also considering Honda?s V 65. Back in the late 80?s a good friend and former HD riding parter from out of state, brought his new V 65 down to attend a Daytone Bike Week with us?I was real impressed with that one?It would out-pull my Shovelhead stroker in any gear, and even seemed real ?reliable?. He had tried more than a few times to get me to ride it?but I was still very much a Harley man, and "It?s like f?n? a fat girl?might feel good, but you wouldn?t want anyone to see you doin? it". But after doing a lot of research, I decided the Max was even WAY more bang for the buck then the V 65, and it is?

I have NO regrets about going ?metric? at this point, but it really troubles me to read the venom from SOME of you regarding HD?s ( in other threads as well)..?At one time, and for a long time, the only American built bike out there? They may not be as fast as many others, but they are direct decendents of those old classics, and still command a lot of respect from anyone with an iota of understanding about their history.

One retard says "all Harley riders are fags" in an open forum?tell that to either of my two HD owner sons face to face, and see what happens next? another, all HD owners are ?posers??admittedly some are?But I would not suggest trying to sort out which are and which are not, unless you?re well covered by a good hospitalization policy?another says "crawl back under your rock"? I relate to all these kinds of remarks, the same way I used to relate to assholes that would talk shit on a CB radio back in my OTR trucking days?99% are cowards who would NEVER have the balls to say what they say in a face to face situation.

I?m real proud of my Vmax?I take a lot of good natured ribbing from both of my sons, and give it back when necessary? And I?ll fully respect you as a rider, regardless of your choice of rides, IF you show some common sense and decency toward others that might be different from what you think is the best way to go. If not, step right up?attitude adjustments are another great pleasure of mine.

Uncle Philthy

Well put. I recently met a "real" Harley guy when he came to pick up my RZ350. He was the bike shipper. We had a pretty long conversation about bikes, and this included Harleys, which he had been riding for some 40 years. I think he made his point very well and without any rancor. He just said there was something about the bikes. He said that if I got a chance, I should take one for a ride and see if it was for me. I would know the answer to that question when I rode the bike. I have never ridden an air cooled Harley, so I would be curious. I like all kinds of bikes, myself. I do find that alot of riders in my area are indeed posers and wannabes with their perfectly polished chrome steeds. They buy all of the "tough guy" gear and ride their bikes less than 5 miles, park and pose next to them. In my book, that is bullshit....but if it makes YOU happy, have at it. I ride by with my "dirtbike" or my Max and they usually just stare at me. Sometimes I encounter these guys at a gas station or the such and I will get asked about the bikes. I even met a Harley dude a few weeks ago whose other bike WAS a Max.

I do find it funny though how Harley has changed its image so much in the last decade. They truly used to be associated with the, um, "less polished" folks, to be kind. Now, they are the status symbol of the suburban yuppie or middle aged professional. They also have this "lifestyle" BS attached to them....brilliant marketing, really. I applaud Harley for their business accumen. They really are a good example of how to make a company come back from the brink.

Mike

Uncle Philthy

uncle well said.... got off a harley after 20 years.....and chose the max that in itself sayes alot about the max...could of bought any bike out there its wasnt about speed or power ...the max fits under the harley saying..if i had to explain you wouldent understand

Ok, change of pace.

Why do Dallas Cowboy fans differ from babies?

Eventually babies stop crying!

I'm a die hard Cowboys fan and the reason we still cry is we have a quarterback that wants to go out with every bubble headed bleach blond once they get into the playoffs,what a moron. who's next Paris Hilton??

As long as we're bashing sports teams - I put my vote in for the Philadelphia Flyers as the biggest shithead team in sports.

I told my son I'd rather see him tattoo a swastika on his forehead, than a Flyers emblem..... WTF is that thing anyway, some kind of gay winged letter "P"?

as a kid i liked the cowboys my friend liked the packers we watched a lot of games between the two i still say the cowboys where the better team

as a kid i liked the cowboys my friend liked the packers we watched a lot of games between the two i still say the cowboys where the better team

I enjoyed watching the steelers beat them in the 70's for 2 0r 3 of our superbowl wins.

As for the flyers,hopefully the Penguins will handle them as easily as New York and Ottawa.

Latest posts

Back