Harley RWHP

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rusty

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Did a little reserch & came up with these numbers.Witch I believe are pritty accurate for bone stock. I know how much everybody loves Harleys on the VMF. :rofl_200: If there's anything here that doesn't seem right to you let me know ok. These numbers come from Harley forums, Cycle World & Sport Rider :biglaugh:

54cid=883cc--->47 rwhp , 74cid=1200cc--->54 rwhp , 1200ccSE--->57 rwhp, XR1200--->77.2 rwhp, 80cid=1340cc--->60 rwhp, 88cid=1450cc--->62 rwhp, 96cid=1573cc--->63 rwhp , 103cid=1688cc--->67.4 rwhp , (CVO)110cid=1802cc--->83 rwhp , (V rod)76cid=1250cc--->103 rwhp, (BuellBlast) 30cid=492cc--->28 rwhp. These are show room fresh numbers. After motor break in,they should produce higher numbers.

Last edited:
Rusty,

For stock Harley's that seems about right. I would guess my modded 2005, 1200 is pushing around 70-75 RWHP. With Gobs of Torque probably in the same # range. It's a whole lot lighter than the VMax's and it's running 883 gearing so it's still fun.

Rusty, rear wheel horsepower figures are not why Harley-Davidson continues to be the most popular and best-selling motorcycles in North America, possibly the world. It's about the history, heritage, mystique and the legendary status and respect that the brand evokes within the motorcycling industry. That patented sound alone, is enough to compensate for a few missing horsepower numbers . It transcends merely the act of owning and riding a motorcycle - that sweet sound transmits to the listener what HD is essentially about - a unique lifestyle, all by itself.
Best of all, they are made in America.
Cheers!

Rusty, rear wheel horsepower figures are not why Harley-Davidson continues to be the most popular and best-selling motorcycles in North America, possibly the world. It's about the history, heritage, mystique and the legendary status and respect that the brand evokes within the motorcycling industry. That patented sound alone, is enough to compensate for a few missing horsepower numbers . It transcends merely the act of owning and riding a motorcycle - that sweet sound transmits to the listener what HD is essentially about - a unique lifestyle, all by itself.
Cheers!
All very true Miles, Just throwing this out there for Kicks:biglaugh:

Not too sure about the made in america part tho... Assembled in america but id be willing to bet the parts arent all made here.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Not too sure about the made in america part tho... Assembled in america but id be willing to bet the parts arent all made here.

Sent from my GT-I9000M using Tapatalk 2

Ya don't say...

Just another take a shot at HD thread as Rusty was bored and out come the usual replies... Mine included... Hee hee hee

EVERY motorcycle brand, and most anything else being manufactured for that matter has most if not all sub assemblies farmed out somewhere that can handle that particular assembly at the best price and hopefully of decent quality...

You don't think Yamaha has some little fellows in the back of the assembly plant running a metal foundry do you? LOL

Take a look at anything such as electronic parts etc... Nippon Denso or whatever else... All farmed out to companies that specialize in some particular area.

The only thing that's important is designed from the minds of the company and built/assembled by however means make the most sense dollar and capability wise...

Sheeesh...

Sent from my BlackBerry 9800 using Tapatalk

Probably 70% of my friends ride Harley's and probably 70% of the people I've met on Harley's are the nicest people you could ever hope to meet. It's the other 30% that tell me I need to buy "a real bike" that I absolutely LOVE to mess with! Most of them don't have a clue about bikes, cars, or anything mechanical for that matter and I really love making them look like the back asswards fools they are and 99% of my Harley buddies are laughing their asses off while I do it! Bottom line is, it's not about the bike at all... it's about the person riding it :punk:

We had a local HD dealer go belly-up a few years ago, usual story, snotty sales force, lousy service, high prices. Many of the associated HOG members migrated over to our all-brand riding club. Several of them challenged me on my '94 Magna (750cc) and I shut them all down. The rest learned pretty quickly, but they were all smart enough to not even try the Max.
BTW, it's that "patented sound" they all love that makes the engine try to vibrate itself apart. Rubber mounting mostly isolates the vibration from the rest of the bike, but if you look at the engine when it's idling, it still moves like crazy. If they reversed the firing order of the 2 cylinders, it would be a lot smoother, but it would lose that sound, which is apparently much more important to them.

Ya don't say...

Just another take a shot at HD thread as Rusty was bored and out come the usual replies... Mine included... Hee hee hee

EVERY motorcycle brand, and most anything else being manufactured for that matter has most if not all sub assemblies farmed out somewhere that can handle that particular assembly at the best price and hopefully of decent quality...

You don't think Yamaha has some little fellows in the back of the assembly plant running a metal foundry do you? LOL

Take a look at anything such as electronic parts etc... Nippon Denso or whatever else... All farmed out to companies that specialize in some particular area.

The only thing that's important is designed from the minds of the company and built/assembled by however means make the most sense dollar and capability wise...

Sheeesh...

Yer right G Man,I was just bored. Im sorry if ive touched off any negitive replies about Harley's:confused2:

Yer right G Man,I was just bored. Im sorry if ive touched off any negitive replies about Harley's:confused2:

It's all good!

Just happy I got a word in the thread before the usual suspects show up! LOL

Speaking of low HP high vibe bikes, (going off topic) my Yamaha XS650 has it in spades! LOL! Super cool and very enjoyable to drive even without the seemingly perceived need on the forum for all conquering HP!

I must be getting old as I own and appreciate a number of different bikes and love 'em all... Wink, wink!

Cheers!

So True. It is not performance for sure. Although the sound is not unique. Sounds just like an old air-cooled VW with a burnt valve.
David

Bottom line is, it's not about the bike at all... it's about the person riding it :punk:

If the person riding the bike is a mooron then nothing they say will ever be worth 2 cents. My friend's that enjoy to ride may not like my choice of bike, but they respect it. I ride with people that own more than one bike. Yes some are H-D's, but others ride everything else.

Sounds just like an old air-cooled VW with a burnt valve.
David

I used to have an old sandrail with a '71 bug engine. This is surprisingly accurate, lol.

It's quite obvious that HD could do a lot of things to make their engines more efficient, powerful, and boost the overall appeal. But as said, people don't buy HD's for technical stats about frame geometry, horsepower, or rpm's. They buy it for the image and the brand name, pure and simple. The "fake harleys" that Honda, Yamaha, or Kawi make are all technically superior bikes, more power, better reliability, and lower costs to buy and own. But if those were the only factors motivating buyers, HD would have gone out of business decades ago. But they still sell bikes by the truckload.

The difference is that a Yamaha only has to say "made in Japan" once, where you can probably find it 30 times on a Harley.

Years ago in one of the popular 'chopper' publications, they dyno'ed a 1200 Shovelhead for the purpose of discovering which of the carb replacements of the day were the best. Are you ready?

The stock Shovelhead with its (is it a Tillotson?) stock package made ~31 HP at the rear wheel.

Boy were there a lot of enraged readers writing-in after that! What they discovered is that some of the available packages made less HP than stock, and ran poorly, caused the engine to overheat more quickly, got worse gas economy, and in-general were useless for their intended purpose. Worse than stock! But, sold as 'performance intake systems.'

The two systems that did work better than stock were I think an S & S and the #1 HP producing carb was an SU, just like Jaguar and Triumph cars used. Nothing made 25% more power or any crazy claim, I think the SU made about 10% more. At the time my friend had just bought a 1972 Sportster, the 1st year of the 1000 cc engine, and it made more HP than any Big Twin. No match for my 1971 Kawasaki 500 Blue Streak two-stroke triple, though!

I used to have an old sandrail with a '71 bug engine. This is surprisingly accurate.=QUOTE]

The 1200 cc VW 'Bug' engine, rated at 40 HP, made a whopping 19 RWHP on a dyno.

We had several 1950's/60's bugs in the family, including a new 1962 cabriolet that I learned how to drive a stick in, it cost $2225 when my parents bought it. The stock sedan was about 1700 bucks then, quite the premium for the "body by Karman."

Eventually, it burned a valve, as they would do if you didn't regularly check the valve clearances. We drove it into the shop and it was still capable of running, just not very fast.

I used this as an excuse to get my Dad to buy me a set of metric sockets, which I still have and use on my metric stuff. I have gone thru a few ratchets and split a couple of sockets, but I still use the set, w/its added pieces; they are the first box I grab to work on the 'Max. Old habits die hard. Plus, I always think of my Dad when I touch that box. He's been gone 39 years.

Mine was the 1600cc version....later models had slightly more powerful motors. I seem to remember it was claimed to be 65hp, so putting maybe 35-40 to the wheels?

While I won't say it was fast, but since it was a frame, engine, and seats, the whole thing weighed around 1/2 ton, so it would go pretty decently. Since it was just off-road, I rarely got it out of 2nd gear. Which was good, since the 2-3 and 3-2 shifts didn't really work right. About half the time you tried to go from 3-2 you got reverse instead. It was a '68 transmission.

The problem with the "doghouse" fan cooled is that the fan constantly got clogged up with grass and weeds and stuff, and over time the fins of the engine got plugged with dirt and rocks. I put a filter screen over the intake but it still had to be cleaned out pretty regularly. And I also cooked like 3 generators since they had those huge cooling openings, first wad of mud you went through took out the genny.

Though I did learn to drive a stick when I was 12 in it, and take apart it's 1 barrel Solex carb. Put a Tri-Mil stinger exhaust on it, actually sounded pretty cool.

i bought my wife a 1200 sportster low for Valentines day a month after she got her MC endorsment. The bike was a lot of fun. i upgraded the forks and shocks for her /me and the bike handled good up to about 65 or 70mph. That sportster embaressed quite a few big inch twins from all makers it ran very good. What was fun, you could be hauling ass on that bike and still not get into big trouble. I haul ass on the max and trouble is never far away! The wife lost interest in riding and we finally sold the sportster.

Numbers all look right for stock HD. I will say that I would rather be pulling my trailer with the roadglide down the highway/interstate all day riding the "lazyboy" than doing the same thing with the max. Same torque numbers virtually, but the HD makes its power down low like a tractor.

I too tend to mess the the Harley or its junk crowd. They just make it so dang easy. Doesn't matter what I'm ridding that day either. Matter of fact, If Im on a HD you can usually find me wearing a yamaha/kawasaki/honda/bsa/triumph/etc... T-shirt. I save the HD t-shirts for when I'm riding the max :D

Laugh :rofl_200: but my 1200 Sportster gets 60 mpg on the highway...4.5 gallon tank goes a long way...

Laugh :rofl_200: but my 1200 Sportster gets 60 mpg on the highway...4.5 gallon tank goes a long way...

haha i'm sure mine would if it didn't feel like it would vibe apart at anything over 65 mph.. ugh.

Latest posts

Back