has anyone had this?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

89vmaxx

Reaction score
just put my motor/trans back together and in.i have undercut tranny w/overdrive.well,when i'm cruising along in the lower gears (most noticible)and pull the clutch in and there's a clicking sound that changes with the speed of the bike(faster and slower respectively)also,it clicks faster as i get into a lower gear.if i go in to neutral it doesn't do it.not sure what to think.i have about 100 miles on it since i assembled it.changed oil,no junk in it.also pulled clutch to check shifting stuff and didn't see a thing.any help would be great. also,all gears gears seem to work fine no pop outs etc. thank you

May have a bad bearing on the shaft? Could be one of the gears is bad and was missed during inspection. Sounds like it may not be directy gear related since it does it in multiple gears. You didn't put a new swingarm in too did you? Maybe too tight on rear diff drive?? Not sure what to tell you but it shouldn't click.

Sean

could anything clutch related cause this?i noticed the bike is very hard to push in gear with clutch lever pulled in.

May have a bad bearing on the shaft? Could be one of the gears is bad and was missed during inspection. Sounds like it may not be directy gear related since it does it in multiple gears. You didn't put a new swingarm in too did you? Maybe too tight on rear diff drive?? Not sure what to tell you but it shouldn't click.

Sean
what is still spinning when you pull in the clutch but not when you put it in neutral? if i hold in the clutch while coasting down a hill,the rattle or click goes faster as i downshift.don't get it at all. and now i don't trust it. for sale

def doesn't sounds gear related but maybe output gear since that is what gets faster as you change gearing.

How about the shims on the gear drive. Loose gears can make funny sounds. How much backlash do you have in your middle gear? Just a thought....

The worm gear that changes the output of the transmission shafts to the rear facing shaft (the u-joint attaches to it).

Have you checked to see if the rear diff is good or maybe over-tightened?? I don't normally put on more then 30-40lbs.

Sean

The worm gear that changes the output of the transmission shafts to the rear facing shaft (the u-joint attaches to it).

Have you checked to see if the rear diff is good or maybe over-tightened?? I don't normally put on more then 30-40lbs.

Sean
but if that gear or rear diff was making noise wouldn't the noise speed up or down with vehicle speed and not the transmission gearing speed? i'm probably going to end up yanking the motor to inspect tranny.

i may not be explaining my situation correctly.if i'm cruising at say 30 mph for example,i pull in the clutch and i here a very noticable click coming from engine area.at that time,if i downshift,the click speeds up.if i click into neutral,it goes away.i also here it as i accelerate easy up through the gears but it gets hard to here as i speed up because i run a kerker w/2.5 baffle.i'm stumped.all gears work fine so i was hoping it wasn't tranny.

there could be anything in the tranny that's a little loose and making that noise. Unfortunately opening it would be the only way to find out, and that means dropping the motor and splitting the cases.

Not much help I know, but if it changes speed as you change gears it sure sounds like a tranny issue, and you're prolly better off fixing it b4 it gets worse (and more xpensive). Also it's a great opportunity to get Sean's overdrive 5th, if you do a lot of highway miles.

could be a bad gear. We've had a similar noise on one with a tooth that was cracking off. Sounded almost like a loud version of the bicycle with the card in the spokes. Could be bad transmission support bearing and with it in nuetral the load is taken away.

Sean

Latest posts

Back