Head Removal

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joelyons50023

Reaction score
I was just wanting a for sure answer that does the motor have to be removed before removing the heads. I was thinking probably so but if not that would be cool. the reason why i ask is b/c I am going to be porting and polishing my heads this winter so i will have some time. I am used to porting and polishing harley heads which they are way easy to do. The vmax heads may take a little longer. I think that i may use seans ARP studs upon reassembly. I will also look at blending the intake port to the intake manifolds for something to do.

I have heard that a few people have done it but it won't be fun that's for sure. Remove the nuts and them the head studs and it should slide right out. Getting the old studs out will be the hardest part. maybe lift the heads as far as they can go them reach in and vice grip them out. Going back in would be very easy with my head studs since they have an allen socket recess built into them for installation.

Sean

I did... it can be done but it's not that easy
You also run the risk of scraping the head surfaces/frame/knuckles etc...
Dscn0094.jpg

Dscn0102.jpg

Got the motor out and the rear head off today great thing i work at a H-D shop. not that bad to get it all out, hung up a little bit while taking the motor out but i finnegeled it out. it is still so funny to look at a harley head next to a vmax head Harley combustion chamber 85cc vmax 25cc

To get the engine out easier remove the middle drive gear first. Way simple then.

Sean

Do you just take those three bolts out and it slips out if so then yes that would have been a little bit better but i will try when going back in. thanks, by the way seanoi how much do you charge for your cylinder milling b/c my deck height is 54 thou below and plus the head gasket around 27 thou i think = bad squish while we are at it how much for your big bores and stuff.

We don't normally recommend the cylinder milling (take as little of the heads as you can). Removing the material off the deck causes real problems with fitting your exhaust (and some on the intake). The OEM pistons do sit in the bore about .050" as you noted. A lot of the aftermarket stuff also sits in the bore but that isn't a huge problem/loss but every little bit does help.

Shoot me an email and i'll email you a price list of options.

Sean
[email protected]

Latest posts

Back