Headlight suggestions?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fatbiker

Reaction score
I'm looking for the best option to upgrade my Vmax's headlight and I need some advice. My primary concern is with the amount of watts it will take to run the new headlight. I currently have the bike set up to run a heated jacket, heated gloves, heated socks, and a USB port to run my cell phone. All of this takes up nearly 125 watts so I don't want to install a headlight that will overtax my charging system. Sean Morley offers an H4 headlight bulb that uses 90 watts at low beam and 130 on high beam when used with a ceramic adapter and a relay kit. I'm afraid that may be too much wattage. I've read that DDM Tuning offers a nice HID kit but they no longer list it on their website. Would an HID kit use a lot of wattage and are they easy to install? On a side note I have replaced all speedo and instrument panel bulbs with LED lights but I'm not sure how much wattage that has saved me.

Any advice on an effective, easy to install, low wattage headlight would be appreciated!

Thanks!

Mike S.

I have Seans light....it is quick and simple to install, but yes it might be too much with all of your extras.

For savings, I'm running LEDS in the brake lights, and rear turn signals. That might help some.

I have a DDMTuning kit I might be willing to part with. I'm running an H4LED right now. Not sure how I like it on the road, but it certainly is bright in the garage. My DDMTuning kit has about 6 hours on it and uses a relay to run the ballasts. It's a 35W kit.

Tramahawk, did your LED brake and turn signal lights plug into the original bulbs sockets are do they require modification? Did you need relays as well? What did you gain by going to LED? What was the cost and how hard are they to install?

Davesax36, what is it that you do not like about the HID kit?

Thanks in advance guys!

I like the HID kit. I just tried the other one because I have a purchasing problem... I mean because the mod monkey said to.

There are 1156 and 1157 LED socket bulbs to fit in our brake and turn signals. They are easy to install, but you'll need a flasher module or resistors to keep things from the fast flash thing. LED reduces the total load on the system, freeing up some wattage for extra lights or accessories.

LED headlights are available. That would solve that problem.
I haven't tried one though.

I have found that buying led lights off ebay can be quite disappointing, so maybe try trusted sources for LED headlight bulb.

There are 1156 and 1157 LED socket bulbs to fit in our brake and turn signals. They are easy to install, but you'll need a flasher module or resistors to keep things from the fast flash thing. LED reduces the total load on the system, freeing up some wattage for extra lights or accessories.

+1....this is the route that I did. If you DONT add the resistors, then they will hyper flash, about twice as fast as normal. I LOVE THAT!!!! Anything I can do to get some stupid cagers attention.....I will do.

I even have the flasher relay, but that fast flash is what all the squids are doing, so I left it that way. Also, I didn't want to fiddle with it, and it sticks out way more since I have the clear lens signals.

(this post partially produced by Port Charlotte Heavily Peated Scotch)

One thing to remember......to get the most out of the LED's (IE the brake light) you have to go the SAME color as the lens to get the most out of them. If the lens is red......you use red LED's. If the turns signals are amber lens.....you have to go amber, and if they are clear lens, you still have to use the amber LEDS.

:ummm:
hasking that much to your charging system
:ummm:
How old is your Max? should i hask since how long you load it so much?

I did all DEL mod except headlight and cluster to help the Vmax
Maybe i am to nervous with that, but at 120,000km without anay charge system issue.
Only my opinion, i respect all others

Reading this again, you might have better luck just running a 7" headlight with a stock bulb or silverstar. I don't remember very many days riding in Houston when I thought I needed all that heated gear. You'll get the benefits of a bigger reflector all year, and still be able to run your heated stuff for those few weeks when you can really use it.

I think you'd be ok except and idle when the output isn't as much. Of course this is again only an issue when you're running EVERYTHING all at once. You could even install a headlight shutoff switch for when you are stopped or going slowly if it's going to be for an extended period of time (you will use battery reserves for quite some time before it would really be an issue.

Sean

Here is a good thread. My post #26 has info on my 7" round headlight which has a lot of room for a HID bulb system if you wish. I recommend a 35 watt bulb in the 4000-5000K range.

http://www.vmaxforum.net/showthread.php?t=29953&highlight=emgo+headlight&page=3

Reading this again, you might have better luck just running a 7" headlight with a stock bulb or silverstar. I don't remember very many days riding in Houston when I thought I needed all that heated gear. You'll get the benefits of a bigger reflector all year, and still be able to run your heated stuff for those few weeks when you can really use it.

Last edited:
I decided to go with a 35W HID 5000K kit as I've heard good reviews about them. Does anyone have any suggestion on whether to get a single 35 watt, HI/LO, of Bi-Xenon kit?

I have the hi/lo kit and rarely use the hi beam. Even on an unlit road on Guam with no lights around the lo beam was plenty sufficient. Save the money and just go with a single 35w

I have the hi/lo kit and rarely use the hi beam. Even on an unlit road on Guam with no lights around the lo beam was plenty sufficient. Save the money and just go with a single 35w
To avoid cutting harness, it's gotta be an h4 which is hi/lo anyway. They are crazy bright, though. I rode from Houston to DC on my fz1 with just low beams even in the middle of the night in Tennessee.

Back