Hey KJ, watch out for molten lava!!!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Look's like you got a pissed off volcano in your back yard. As if the snow and sub zero temperatures wasn't bad enough! look on the bright side, riding season may come sooner than once thought.:biglaugh:
http://news.aol.com/article/volcano-eruption/322208?icid=200100397x1217914666x1201194649

Its going to do it again!!

I was working for Arco in Anchorage when it popped one year. They grounded several flights for a few days cause of the ash cloud.

We have about 40 active volcanoes up here. but the majority are are spread out along the alutian islands.

Its going to do it again!!

I was working for Arco in Anchorage when it popped one year. They grounded several flights for a few days cause of the ash cloud.

We have about 40 active volcanoes up here. but the majority are are pread out along the alutian islands.

Ah, the ol' 'Ring of Fire' a nice stable part of the planet, don't cha think?

Ah, the ol' 'Ring of Fire' a nice stable part of the planet, don't cha think?

Volcanoes and earthquakes, you have to love em.

Here are a few pics of a preliminary 8 mag. quake we had in 2002. Anchorage just got a little 5.7 shimmy the other day.

Attachments

• quake2.jpg
    quake2.jpg
    72.5 KB · Views: 21
  • quake5.jpg
    quake5.jpg
    51.7 KB · Views: 23
  • quake6.jpg
    quake6.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 20
  • earthquake3.jpg
    earthquake3.jpg
    35.8 KB · Views: 16
  • earthquake2.jpg
    earthquake2.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 19
If you have any pics when it does blow, please post them. I told my wife about this and she is all excited (she's a science teacher) so I'm sure her class will be watching it.

Volcanoes and earthquakes, you have to love em.

Here are a few pics of a preliminary 8 quake we had in 2002. Anchorage just got a little 5.7 shimmy the other day.

I imagine the pipeline is designed to handle that sort of thing but it's a pretty scary picture just the same.
Was it full at the time?
What is the diameter?

One last question.....shouldn't all those 'fire mountains' warm it up just a little more up there? :biglaugh:

I imagine the pipeline is designed to handle that sort of thing but it's a pretty scary picture just the same.
Was it full at the time?
What is the diameter?

One last question.....shouldn't all those 'fire mountains' warm it up just a little more up there? :biglaugh:

You would think so, but nope stull sub zero here. The pipeline is designed to take a 8.4 hit but as you can see, a support failed at 8.

If you have any pics when it does blow, please post them. I told my wife about this and she is all excited (she's a science teacher) so I'm sure her class will be watching it.

I'm too far away, redoubt is about 400 miles from me. but here is a site that is monitoring the mountain.
http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php

Here is a weather site that has a webcam pointed at Mt. Redoubt.
http://www.anchorageweathercam.com/Anchorageweathercam.com.html

Here are some pictures of the mountain when it popped back in '90

Attachments

• 800px-MountRedoubtEruption.jpg
    800px-MountRedoubtEruption.jpg
    74.2 KB · Views: 21
  • redoubt2.jpg
    redoubt2.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 21
I'm too far away, redoubt is about 400 miles from me. but here is a site that is monitoring the mountain.
http://www.avo.alaska.edu/activity/Redoubt.php

Here are some pictures of the mountain when it popped back in '90

Now THAT is impressive. The mountain is about 10,000' high....that cloud has to be in the neighborhood of 50,000' high!! I'd love to see that......maybe on tv!! :biglaugh:

Well, it's erupted about 6 times now. Even shut down all the air traffic from here and around Anchorage for a bit.

Here is a shot showing steam and ash blowing 60,000' in the air.

Attachments

• 26redoubt_t575.jpg
    26redoubt_t575.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 15
Well, it's erupted about 6 times now. Even shut down all the air traffic from here and around Anchorage for a bit.

Here is a shot showing steam and ash blowing 60,000' in the air.

Definately impressive......from a safe distance:biglaugh:

Let's hope it warms you up a bit!

It's already warming up in a couple of weeks and as soon as my downtubes arrive, it will be time to ride.

Last year at this time there was alot of snow and Ice on the ground, this year public works went above and beyond to keep the roads maintained. Everywhere I drove today was dry, even my street is dry.

It was sweet taking joey's honda home for him. Nice ride, had to be extra carefull though. After over 5 months of snowy winter ppl aren't used to seeing bikes on the road. He called a little while ago and was like, "DUUUUUDE, I finally got another bike!!!"

volcanoes are truley an amazing thing to experience. these are not my pictures but my house was 5 miles away from it when it erupted back in the early 90s. was something ill never forget. all the quakes,darkness for about a week due to the fact a cat 4 or 5 typhoon came through at the same time.was the 2nd largest eruption in the 20th century and was large enough it literally cooled the entire earth over a 2 year period. when i get home ill see if i can find some pictures we took and scan them for you all if you want.

Attachments

• ERUPTION.jpg
    ERUPTION.jpg
    144.2 KB · Views: 7
  • ASH.jpg
    ASH.jpg
    102 KB · Views: 9

Latest posts

Back