How about a 16" rear wheel?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mortenk

Reaction score
Hi everybody! New here. Have a stock canadian '98 Vmax. I like the look as it is, but would like a little "badass" look to it. I am getting it lowered a bit, and thinking about a wider tire. I like the fatness of the stock one, but would like it to be wider. Anyone had experience with a 16x5,5" rim, with a 180/80-16 as an example? 17" seems to be popular choise, I get, but I want to keep it high profile and maybe get radials! Is it possible?
Cheers y'all :)

I'm betting you would not like the overall gear ratio with a 16" rear. (although I bet it would be the nuts for doing burn outs!) I would guess that you would want to change to a venture pumpkin if you went that small. I think Sean would be the best person to give advice on this.

One "problem" with the V-,ax is that you can not change the rear gears like you can with a chain drive bikes. You can put about any size rear on a chain drive because you could just go up on the teeth on the front sprocket or down on the rear.

I think the early ventures used 16" rear wheels? But, the rim isn't very wide so not ideal for a fat tire. Too much sidewall to really be effective unless the tire is a very low profile. Then the diameter will be very small and reduce a lot of ground clearance. It will also look pretty odd with a ton of gap showing between fender and tire.

Yes, but I was thinking about a custom made wheel. Then I could choose an appropriate tire in the same diametersize as stock 15". 5,5x16" rim is what I was thinking.

Yes, but I was thinking about a custom made wheel. Then I could choose an appropriate tire in the same diametersize as stock 15". 5,5x16" rim is what I was thinking.

17" is already pushing it, as far as ride height and change of rpms at speeds. i certainly wouldn't go any smaller than that.

Ok. It' s a no go then. So 18" is neutral size wise in diameter?

17 or 18. 17 is def shorter than stock, and i have it. i probably would have gone 18 to do it all over again but you are limited how wide since the tire sits further in the swingarm, and 17" tires have better options.

Latest posts

Back