How much fuel does the tank actually hold?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lumberjack

Reaction score
I know the specs say the main tank holds 15 litres (4 gallons) with 3 litres (0.79 gallons) for reserve. The most I have put in the main tank is about 11 litres (2.91 gallons) when the red light comes on and the bike starts sputtering. I am wondering if I actually have a more than 3 litres (0.79 gallons)of fuel left in the tank? I am wondering if anyone else has experienced this? The only way I can think of checking is to drain the tank completely and see how much it holds

The tank holds just enough to give your butt a rest, but not enough if you've got to get somewhere.
I've drained mine to coat the inside. It's been a couple of years, but I wrote it down that it took 4.8 gallons to fill it back up. I didn't fill it to the top of the neck, but it was close.

These reserve "tanks" are kind of iffy. I've had my light come on at different levels judging from mileage. I finally gave up and decided to fill up at 100 miles.

I have to shake the bike a bit while it is close to filling up. The tank traps air so that might possibly be the reason your not getting the full amount. When my light comes on and I head directly to the station I normally get fill it with ~3.2 gals.

There isn't a "reserve" tank on our bikes.
When the fuel level gets low enough, the sensor shuts off the pump causing you to switch to res.
It's all the same tank. The reserve is needed whenever that little switch thinks you are low enough on fuel that it doesn't want to be pushed to the station.
That switch isn't really that predictable as to when it shuts the pump off. It'll be close each time, but it won't be left at exactly .79 gallons each time.
Clear as mud?

My tank holds 3.8 from bone dry. Like everything, I wish it was bigger, but who doesn't!!:rofl_200:

I have put in 3.9 gals once and the bike was still running!!! The numbers that show up on the pump may not always be accurate, but hopefully it is.

Back