How much will come out when removing the oil filter

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

02GF74

Reaction score
As per title, how much oil will come out when removing the oil filter (cannister type)? Bike is resting on the side stand.

I don't know when the last oil and filter change was done (mileage is 9,000) I've checked the oil through the side glass and is a clear dark yellow so would be pretty new hence should not need replacing but I'd like to check the filter.... although I'm not sure if I'd be able to tell if it is new or not, I do have a replacement so may fit it anyway.

Hey buddy. Not sure what you want to know. You have a VMax with 9000kms on it?!

When in doubt change the oil. No big deal.

My bike always turns the oil dark quickly. Clutch material I guess? And I had a compression issue.....

The oil is clear so looks fresh, I want to look at the inside of the filter to see if I can tell if that is n
Hey buddy. Not sure what you want to know. You have a VMax with 9000kms on it?!

When in doubt change the oil. No big deal. .. except when you don't have any oil to hand, but since it is clear, I am assuming it is fresh; but as you say if in doubt

My bike always turns the oil dark quickly. <== this, so would indicate oil is fresh hence any point in changing it? Clutch material I guess? And I had a compression issue.....

Depends on how fast you are at changing it out.
Maybe a little.
Maybe a lot.
I don't think anyone here will be able to give you an accurate amount.
The safe bet is replace the filter and the oil so you know whats in there but, it doesn't sound like that is what you want to hear.
If you want to save the expense of some oil, run the filter without looking at it. Unless the filter is physically damaged or totally plugged up with something (which would indicate other issues) I doubt its going to make much difference.

No, you're right, no point risking damaging the engine for an additional 10 mins of time and £23. 4l Shell semi-synthetic oil ordered.

And the answer is.... very little, maybe about 1/3 the volume of the oil filter.

Oil filter is off, drain plug out and oil out.

Oil is not as good as I thought, looked clear yellow through the sight glass but is a very dark brown.

Anyways nobody killed an engine with too frequent oil changes.

Had to buy the filter removal tool as I couldn't shift it by hand, even with the toolkit was not easy.

Once oil replaced should be all good to go for the first proper start.

Back