How to replace pads on your Tokico 6 piston Calipers

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1986VmaxRider

Reaction score
(Forgive me for the liberty of naming conventions used of sub-components)

This instruction set assumes that the pistons and seals are still of high quality and do not require removal and repair.

1. Purchase a set of new pads for your Takico Calipers, I chose an after market set called Galfer. See Pic 1.

2. Remove backside plate which provides access to pad guide pin. I used a number 5 allen wrench to remove the two allen bolts. See pic 3.

3. Remove cotter pin from pad guide pin. pads can now be removed from caliper. I used a needle nose pliers to remove. See pic 5.

4. inspect sub-componets prior to new pad installation for wear and cleaning. See pic 6.

5. Guide pin appears to have wear and a bit of rust mixed in with brake dust build-up. using a wire brush, I cleaned guide pin for closer inspection of wear of guide pin. Guide pin receives stress during braking and can be worn down in area where in contact with pad metal base. See pic 7 and 8

Inspect new pads and ensure to keep clean and away from dirt and grime including the oils from your fingers.

6. After cleaning caliper housing and installing new pads, install guide pin through pad housing hole to secure pads. Install cotter pin. See pic 11.

7. Install caliber back plate. See pic 12

8. Mount Tikico 6 piston calipers back on wheel. Looks great! See pic of caliper on front wheel of VMAX, GSXR front end. See pic 13.

Attachments

• 1_Tokico_w_Calipers.jpg
    1_Tokico_w_Calipers.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 62
  • 3_Tokico_show_backPlate.jpg
    3_Tokico_show_backPlate.jpg
    73.3 KB · Views: 53
  • 5_Tokico_show_guidepin_cotterpin.jpg
    5_Tokico_show_guidepin_cotterpin.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 47
  • 6_Tokico_with_parts_laidout.jpg
    6_Tokico_with_parts_laidout.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 50
  • 7_dirty_guidepin.jpg
    7_dirty_guidepin.jpg
    114.6 KB · Views: 43
  • 8_Cleaned_guidepin.jpg
    8_Cleaned_guidepin.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 43
  • 11_Install_guidepin.jpg
    11_Install_guidepin.jpg
    120 KB · Views: 43
  • 12_assemblebackplate.jpg
    12_assemblebackplate.jpg
    92.1 KB · Views: 39
  • 13_Tokico_installed_on_wheel.jpg
    13_Tokico_installed_on_wheel.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 64
I've got a set of 6 pots on my SV and I must say the pistons really like to be clean. Press them out using the brake lever (make sure to have a spacer in between the pistons so you can push them back when done) and then use a tooth brush and non-chlorinated brake clean and clean the pistons and surrounding area. Reinstall pads and BAM! like new!

Chris

Chris,

Thanks for the additional detail on the pistons. I intend soon to replace the seals of the pistons. I will provide additional detail pics for the cleaning of the pistons and replacement of the seals.

Jack

Latest posts

Back