I say 9.5 ET....stock, with drag radial....

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cycle World Mag. 1987
...we turn the bike over to Steve Johnson, head of R&D for Kerker, and tell him to find more power without touching the inside of the engine.

Johnson and his staff ..remove the V-max's airbox and V-boost system,
rejet the carbs, and make a very special 4- into-2- into - 1 pipe,

The result is a substantial power increase .

we turn to Kosman specialties, for an 18-inch spoked wheel and wheelie bar. Sandy Kosman installs a spoked front wheel ,too, along with his lightweight brake discs and calipers.

For the next run, Jay holds the engine speed at 5800 rpm before dropping the clutch, and the bike fairly leaps away, back hard on the wheelie bar all the way through first gear.
..everyone at the track is stunned: 9.74 seconds at 135.13 mph.

Don't forget, this is a heavy motorcycle that's never had it's valve covers off, and has it's tank full of pump gas,

Mark Dobeck drop the main jets two sizes. Gleason tries again, and on his second run with the new jetting, turns, 9.69 seconds at 135.74 mph.

The V-max is retired, Having thoroughly and easily proven it's point: of the five runs it has made today, all except the first were well into the Nines." - CYCLE WORLD 1987

interesting in context to the 2009 runs of 9.51 seconds... pipe, tuning and slick....only difference is the wheely bar..... this will be a great summer!

interesting in context to the 2009 runs of 9.51 seconds... pipe, tuning and slick....only difference is the wheely bar..... this will be a great summer!

ummm... you've seem to have forgotten the extras 500cc on the 09.

ummm... you've seem to have forgotten the extras 500cc on the 09.

i meant the same preps for the run .

Both bikes got a tire and intake/pipe work and not much else, except the wheely bar in the case of the older bike.

9.69 at 135.74 mph. vs 9.51 at 141

Jay Gleason rides a slightly modified V-Max to a 9.392 seconds at 146 mph.

http://vimeo.com/7177078
slightly modded ? .. Drag slick , full system , air box removed and a very trick intake system , running on u4.2 racing fuel , Limiters removed... P/C and tunned by one of the best around with a race weight around 600 pounds ..Lets not forget who was riding the bike ( Jay Gleason ) and he weighted in that day at 112 pounds ...Temps in the high 60s with low humidity and a light tail wind ...

Come on RJ if make a post please put in all the details ..:bang head:

slightly modded ? .. Drag slick , full system , air box removed and a very trick intake system , running on u4.2 racing fuel , Limiters removed... P/C and tunned by one of the best around with a race weight around 600 pounds ..Lets not forget who was riding the bike ( Jay Gleason ) and he weighted in that day at 112 pounds ...Temps in the high 60s with low humidity and a light tail wind ...

Dude that was a quote from the title of the link.... next time i will put in quotes for you ok?

oh and ya...i know its all fashionable to look at bolt on pipes as "seriosu power mods" these days but....to me anyway....unless you actually tear into the motor, id have to say slightly modded.... im old school like that...
pipes and intakes, laptop work.... its all tuning not designing a stroker crank or offset grinding journals or spec-ing you own cam profiles etc etc.....

Great times!! Just wait until the aftermarket gets a hold of this beast :punk:
Low 8's for sure :worthy:

well i dont know about low 8s but ya...there is more.... i mean we haven't even seen a ported head or revised cams yet..... 1700ccs is a lot to play with.....

oh and ya...i know its all fashionable to look at bolt on pipes as "seriosu power mods" these days but....to me anyway....unless you actually tear into the motor, id have to say slightly modded.... im old school like that...
pipes and intakes, laptop work.... its all tuning not designing a stroker crank or offset grinding journals or spec-ing you own cam profiles etc etc.....
I understand what you are saying RJ ... A lot of time went into that bike and using a drag slick, no air filter and race fuel takes it away from being streetable ..I would be saying slightly modded also if not for the drag slick and race fuel that costs 120 for 5 gallons ..

9.97 @ 141 .. Well not stock , it did have a race ECU and light rider and a few other things they forgot to tell you .. .They made 5 passes and only one was a 9 second pass so the others were 10s like Dale Walkers passes ..I can see the bike with an Exhaust , P/C and good tune run 9.70s in good air .. That's good for a bike that close to 700 pounds .. Getting low 9s will take a bit more work like dropping some weight or going into the motor ...Spray or turbo would get it done without touching the inside of the motor ..

Pretty damn good call, here. :clapping:

Latest posts

Back