The Case for the 15" Super Scooter Radials

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think its an interesting idea.

It will lower the rear of the bike 1.5" being that the tire is 3" shorter. If you run a 110/70 on the front it will lower the bike 0.87" being the tire is 1.74" shorter than stock. That means the rear is being lowered .63" more than the front. I would lower the front forks at least that much to compensate. If not, more. I would not put shorter shocks on the bike. I think it will kill your ground clearance which will already suck. Plus, I think the max is already lacking on weight balance on the front wheel. Shorter shocks will just make it worse IMO.

After putting a few miles on it, if it is working out for you, I would definitely consider the venture final drive to get it closer to stock gearing.

I think its an interesting idea.

It will lower the rear of the bike 1.5" being that the tire is 3" shorter. If you run a 110/70 on the front it will lower the bike 0.87" being the tire is 1.74" shorter than stock. That means the rear is being lowered .63" more than the front. I would lower the front forks at least that much to compensate. If not, more. I would not put shorter shocks on the bike. I think it will kill your ground clearance which will already suck. Plus, I think the max is already lacking on weight balance on the front wheel. Shorter shocks will just make it worse IMO.

After putting a few miles on it, if it is working out for you, I would definitely consider the venture final drive to get it closer to stock gearing.

Yeah, with my bike already being lowered a little bit I wondered if ground clearance would be an issue. Never had an issue as is but if I go with this tire I may just trade my 11.5 412s for some 12.5s so it isn't so big of a drop. But, if the tire makes a nice difference in the handling department then... worth it! I already have a Venture diff that I was using on my old 88 which I liked... most of the time. On the spirited Eureka Springs ride with my wife on the back I was wishing just a bit for the stock gearing. Stock gearing is ok in my books, especially with my long tours over for now with my little girl calling me to come play.

Here are the tire options I have found so far in this size/rating at MSS:

Metzeler FeelFree: $140.99
0000_Metzeler_Feelfree_Rear_Tire_--_633742625171617787.jpg

Pirelli Diablo $116.99:

633027454007839532diablo_scooter.jpg

Michelin Pilot Sport SC: $124.99
0000_Michelin_Pilot_Sport_SC_Radial_Rear_Tire_--.jpg

Bridgestone Battlax BT-012: $119.99
0000_Bridgestone_Battlax_BT--012_Rear_Tire_--.jpg

This is kinda what I'm shooting for:
lrmp_1010_31_o+experience_2010+fleetwood.jpg

I'm thinking I could stencil the gold spokes onto my rim and get about the same look!

if people wanted to split the cost of a tire i'd buy one and throw it on one of my brothers rear rims and try it out. i have a tire changer so the cost of messing with tires is nill.

i'd probably throw the stock shocks back on as i already have a 1.5" drop

N Dakota is pretty flat, so I am not worried about the drop in ride height :) I might be willing to try this.

if people wanted to split the cost of a tire i'd buy one and throw it on one of my brothers rear rims and try it out. i have a tire changer so the cost of messing with tires is nill.

i'd probably throw the stock shocks back on as i already have a 1.5" drop

N Dakota is pretty flat, so I am not worried about the drop in ride height :) I might be willing to try this.

I will need a rear tire before spring I imagine so if no one tries it before then, I probably will. If someone gives it a whirl hopefully they will post up their experiences for common review.

Maybe I'll finally invest in a set of tire irons and mount my own, and try Dyna beads while I'm at it. That way I won't have to worry about anyone at the shop that would mount them saying " you wanna mount WHAT on a WHAT?!"

Interestingly, Aprilia selected the Pirelli Diablo tire, shown above, for its SRV850 scooter. This is a 550lb (dry), 74hp machine.

As interesting as this is, I think I shall wait until I can get a 17x5.5 rear and mount a 190/55ZR-17 on the back. On the front, I am sure I could find a matching tire.

Now, I just gotta find a way to get a decent set of rims on Woona that wont cost as much as the bike itself...

just so you know the 190/55 doesn't have a lot of options. the 190/50 or 180/55 is much easier to find.

190/50 is an extremely common sportbike size. There's tons of choices.

The new Pilot Power 3's in that size I put on my Z are awesome. So much more predictable and stable than the Metz M3's that were on there.

Back