idle aetting and co readings

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigJimi

Reaction score
idle settings and co readings

I adjusted my a/f screws to help with the popping in my exhaust and found I had to keep adjusting the idle knob/screw to keep it running, how do you know if the idle knob/screw is yo far out or in? Or does it matter as long as it idles around 1000rpm's

Also any one know what the co readings are at idle and about 3000rpms is? I just want to try to get it dialed in, I have a combustion analyzer .

Thanks

Have you synced the carbs recently?
If the ambient air temp is 70~75 & the humidity is around 60% I'll set my CO levels to an average of 2.75% for each carb with the idle & sync maintained @ 1100rpm.
If the ambient air temp is a 75+ & humidity is 70~80+% I'll set my CO levels to an average of 3.50% for each carb with the idle & sync maintained @ 1100rpm.
Hope this is some help!

Whenever I go to the trouble of attaching my sniffer, I usually try to set all mine as close to 3% as possible. My sniffer is so darn sensitive, the reading will bounce around a lot, and the slightest tweek of that screw will send it skyward, or dipping a lot.

I got to where I set mine by ear, with the idle turned way down closer to 700-800, and use a throttle blip to determine exactly where the bestest response is achieved, and don't worry where the exact % ends up on a gauge.....and it ends up between 3 - 3.5% anyway.

BigJimi,
You got that right "the reading will bounce around a lot" This is the same reason I'll use a average including the tenths. It drives me crazy to sit & wait for every little adjustment to settle down.

Re: idle settings and co readings

I adjusted my a/f screws to help with the popping in my exhaust and found I had to keep adjusting the idle knob/screw to keep it running, how do you know if the idle knob/screw is yo far out or in? Or does it matter as long as it idles around 1000rpm's

Also any one know what the co readings are at idle and about 3000rpms is? I just want to try to get it dialed in, I have a combustion analyzer .

Thanks
I adjust my a/f mixture screws with a carbtune syncronizer.

What are the signs of carbs out of sync?

When attached to the sync gauges, the four indicators will not be level. :biglaugh:

Seriously, the bike will not have nearly as good pulling power when lifting off idle.....as when first releasing the clutch, it will take a bit more throttle to pull away from a stop w/o stalling the bike. Or, if you are on the stand, and in neutral, they may be out enough to cause hesitation when blipping the throttle. Severely off, and your bike simply won't stay running worth a damn. You ALWAYS want those Vmax carbs as close to synchronized as possible...regardless of any other problems you may have occurring.

What are the signs of carbs out of sync?

You'll go crazy using the ear method to set your A/F mixture screws. Some will not respond because of throttle plates out of position in relation to others. Off idle won't be crisp. A sync tool is a must have, unless some else works on your bike all the time. In which case you have PLENTY of spendable $$
biglaugh.gif

I adjusted the a/f screws but I think I'm going to get a snyc tool, thanks for the help!

I adjusted the a/f screws but I think I'm going to get a snyc tool, thanks for the help!
Just to let you know beforehand- I used a mercury filled carb sync tool i had for years and after then bought a motion pro. Hated it and the air bubbles. Purchased a carbtune and set my a/f mixture screws to their highest vacuum point and then the 4 carbs afterwards-- luv it.
:clapping:

Back