Idle mixture question

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jayhawk

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just a general question...do the idle mixture screws (and their adjustment) have any effect on the carbs/bike at RPMs above idle? For example, that brief moment when throttling up from a decel before the engine assumes much load and the revs begin to increase?

definitely. at cruise mine was popping like crazy until one of the a/f screws were adjusted. they make a difference everywhere, but much less at say WOT around 8k rpms than at idle.

definitely. at cruise mine was popping like crazy until one of the a/f screws were adjusted. they make a difference everywhere, but much less at say WOT around 8k rpms than at idle.

Thanks, that's what I was hoping for, I guess. I'm still not happy the way my Max is running at idle and light throttle, and next step will be trying not to hose things up adjusting the idle mix. Hopefully, it will get me to a point where I can stop fooling with it.

Tom

i tried fiddling with mine. couldn't for the life of me tell. can u get it on an 02 sniffer to set the a/f screws?

also. that point is a myth.

i tried fiddling with mine. couldn't for the life of me tell. can u get it on an 02 sniffer to set the a/f screws?

also. that point is a myth.

Nah, it's going to have to be set by ear. (Scary proposition, indeed.)

You're probably right about the myth...it would be nice to take a ride on the Gen 1 without thinking all the time, "I wonder if I..." :biglaugh:

Nah, it's going to have to be set by ear. (Scary proposition, indeed.)

You're probably right about the myth...it would be nice to take a ride on the Gen 1 without thinking all the time, "I wonder if I..." :biglaugh:

eh some guys do it. its old school and can work its just i can't hear the difference so i'd rather not have gas pouring out or put a hole in my piston! hah.

and once again, like the myth, that day doesn't ever come.

Latest posts

Back