Idle Mixture Screw

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vmax-21

Reaction score
Hi, I am the original owner of an 86 Vmax, with less than 20k miles. The carbs on this bike have never been off or apart. I ran it at least monthly since I have owned it. Until this year when I moved, and the bike sat in storage for several months. Now it won't Idle or run well without the choke on. So, I thought before taking it to a shop for a complete carb cleaning, I would try the shotgun fix.

I started with the back carb on the right side of the bike. I am stuck on the "remove idle mixture screw". when I look in the hole, it don't see a standard or Philips head. I don't want to damage anything, so thought I would post the question before going any further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Terry

It is a standard head they are brass and really soft so make sure you have a screwdriver that fits tight. You might want to spray some penetrating lube in it . If you have not pulled the original plug out of it yet you can run a small screw in it and pull it out with some pliers.

if there is a plug in there from the factory, then it's still in there. so do you recommend I run a screw into the plug?

My advice on the carburetors is, if the peashooter or the shotgun won't fix the issue, send the carbs to one of the guys on-here who offer the service: dannymax, CaptainKyle, or Sean Morley. (I fixed it!)

I suspect your pilot jets may-be plugged, one or more of them. The requires carburetor removal, and splitting them into two pairs, at a minimum, to be able to remove the float bowls. Then the jet blocks need to come-out, behind the rubber plugs in the jet blocks are two removable brass jets. The pilot jet is small, and its port is easily-obstructed by debris from the gas tank. What shape is your gas filter in? And, what shape is the gas tank in? If you cannot see shiny metal in the floor of the gas tank, it needs cleaning.

This is more-than a peashooter or a shotgun, but it gives you a good idea of what's involved in a good disassemble/cleaning:
(121) Carb rebuild Part 1 (PICTURE RICH) | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(121) How-to: Pea Shooter | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

Last edited:
Before getting in too deep run some carb cleaner through the system first.
It won't do any harm and you may strike lucky.

Agree with that has been said about removing the screw. A good tight fitting screwdriver, I also give the end of the driver a couple of sharp taps with a hammer before attempting to turn.

My advice on the carburetors is, if the peashooter or the shotgun won't fix the issue, send the carbs to one of the guys on-here who offer the service: dammymax, CaptainKyle, or Sean Morley.

I suspect your pilot jets may-be plugged, one or more of them. The requires carburetor removal, and splitting them into two pairs, at a minimum, to be able to remove the float bowls. Then the jet blocks need to come-out, behind the rubber plugs in the jet blocks are two removable brass jets. The pilot jet is small, and its port is easily-obstructed by debris from the gas tank. What shape is your gas filter in? And, what shape is the gas tank in? If you cannot see shiny metal in the floor of the gas tank, it needs cleaning.

This is more-than a peashooter or a shotgun, but it gives you a good idea of what's involved in a good disassemble/cleaning:
(121) Carb rebuild Part 1 (PICTURE RICH) | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

(121) How-to: Pea Shooter | Yamaha Star V-Max VMAX Motorcycle Discussion Forum (vmaxforum.net)

At the risk of appearing picky Philip, it's dannymax ;)

At the risk of appearing picky Philip, it's dannymax ;)
OMG, I usually proofread before hitting 'post!' That one got-by. I'm sorry.

I assume this is the correct email for you? [email protected]

You live in a beautiful area, I visited a friend in Highland, across the Hudson River from Poughkeepsie, on 9W. He was the engineer for a winery which had been in business since the 1870's, right on the bank of the river. I was there in the fall, it was spectacular. I've driven US 87 all the way to Quebec Province where it becomes Autoroute 15, and it was a treat in the summer. As a kid, living in western NYS, I attended a Boy Scout camp in the Tupper Lake area of the Adirondacks, and did a lot of hiking, including to the top of Mt. Marcy, tallest in The Empire State, and at the foot of-which, lies lake Tear of the Clouds, the northernmost source of the Hudson River.

Last edited:
My advice on the carburetors is, if the peashooter or the shotgun won't fix the issue, send the carbs to one of the guys on-here who offer the service: dannymax, CaptainKyle, or Sean Morley. (I fixed it!)

Hello..no possible to see pictures from "Carb rebuilt Part 1" link...

Thanks all, I am going to clean the best I can (without damaging anything), and replace the fuel filter to see if this helps. If not, I might consider sending to one of the folks mentioned above.

Latest posts

Back