Ignition Opinion needed

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I am running the accell wires and the seem to be working good, dont think the twin coils would be a good idea.

They won't work unless you run 4 of them. The twin coil fires both wires at the same time and basically the cylinders they go to fire on both the compression and exhaust strokes.

Sean

Ok I understand the 'waste spark' but why can't you use a twin-tower dual-lead coil? If it fires each revolution, as long as the resistance is ok (3 ohms?) for working w/the ignition box, why can't you use it? Now I did not open the link, but I am assuming it is a twin-tower coil. So, if you had two of them, you have four primary leads for the four cylinders. What am I overlooking?

The fact that the cylinders don't fire on an even 90 degrees. it's 90-90-90-270 (if I remember correctly). That's why it's very difficult to get a computer that can properly run an EFI for these bikes.

Sean

Ok, thanks, Sean, I understand that. Why is it so difficult to write & burn the program for that? Sounds pretty simple once you have i.d.'ed the parameters.

I guess that is why people like Bazzaz get the big $$$ for their work.

Well dangit oh well. I guess its back to the drawing board. I am thinking that by next season Im going to want new ignition all the way around on that bike. The connectors looked pretty shady when I tore it down last time for cleaning.

Yep, COP is the way to go, but it's slightly more difficult on your '85 since you have the old style analog ignition. Hooking up COPs directly to the coil leads will burn out the box in short order since COPs have a lower resistance than the stock coils. You need inline resistors. Gannon (88vmx12) made some adapter harness kits with resistors built in, not sure if there's any left, I'd ask him. Then it'd be a plug and play swap. Not that my bike was hard to start before, but after COPs it fires noticeably quicker...just tap the starter and on the first compression it pops.

A set of 4 coil sticks can be found on ebay for $20-$50. Don't pay any more than that. Yes, they're like $100/apiece dealer list, sellers try to convince you that $200 for four is therefore a stunning deal. I paid $25 shipped for a set of 2009 GSXR 600 coil sticks.

COPs are pretty standard. They all use the same connector and are pretty much all the same size and length regardless of brand of what bike they came off. Avoid sticks from Honda 9xx series bikes, they're considerably longer and are tough to fit on the Max. All others are shorter and fit easily.

Back