I'm new here looking for advice

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

carbonvmax

Reaction score
Hey vmaxers,
I'm new here. I've had my 92 VMAX for almost 2 years. I've been drooling over them for 12 years. Tonight I rode to a church dinner (32 degrees). When I went to leave my nephew wanted to fire it up. When it fired he didn't "catch it" and it didn't have enough juice to fire it again. I jumped it off and when it fired the headlight was out on low beam and high. I checked the fuse and it was good and so were both high and low beam filaments. I had to leave it and catch a ride (not cool). Any suggestions? I did a headlight search here and didn't find a thread. Thanks for any help.
carbonvmax

Check and make sure you start button isn't stuck. If it doesn't return out all the way the lights won't work. Pull the button all the way out. If that's it, clean the switch.

Cool! thank you. I will check that tomorrow afternoon. If it does or doesn't work I'll post that info.

Not to be mean or anything but did you check the light switch was on?

Easy thing to forget, much like forgetting the to turn the kill switch back off after shutting down the bike with it, or putting the bike in gear and forgetting to put the kickstand up. (have done both of those)

That's not mean. thanks for the thought. I don't have a light switch other than the high/low beam. I've put it in gear w/ the kickstand down a time or 2. 8^)
ReFXCD0018.jpg

Last edited:
maleko89 said:
Check and make sure you start button isn't stuck. If it doesn't return out all the way the lights won't work. Pull the button all the way out. If that's it, clean the switch.
LOL....HEY MARK....remember me asking the exact same question this past summer?
DEFINITELY check to make sure the button isnt stuck!
mine was....whew....what an easy fix!

carbonvmax said:
That's not mean. thanks for the thought. I don't have a light switch other than the high/low beam. I've put it in gear w/ the kickstand down a time or 2. 8^)
ResizeofFXCD0018-1.jpg
HEY....where did you get your taillight surround from?
I like it!
Tail light bling....lol

Thanks. The bike had that and a few other custom pieces like it on the tach/indicator light housing and radiator when I got it. I think they were hand fabbed. They are super soft (easily damaged). It also had the drag bars and "eyelids" on the headlight and signals. The Vboost is on. It has a k&n and kerker 4-2-1. I was told it has a stage 3 kit by the "paperwork guy" and the salesman said it had a stage 6 so I don't know. Is there an easy way to tell? Both of them rode it. The pencil pusher almost bought it but he would have been in trouble with the wife for bringing a 3rd bike home. I know it's fast (what max isn't?) It had 14,900 miles on it when I got it. I got it for $4,900 and they gave me $1500 for my 1980 cb900. It has just over 17,000 on it now. It was blowing a fuse until I disconnected the rear brake light switch. I have a line on a cheap used switch from a 92 locally. Other than these 2 minor problems it hasn't given me any lip. I never wanted any other bike and I spent years waiting to get here. I went through a bunch of bikes waiting for the vmax.

D66, yeah I remember! That tail light surround is an accessories from Yamaha. I don't know if they still sell it or not.

maleko89 said:
D66, yeah I remember! That tail light surround is an accessories from Yamaha. I don't know if they still sell it or not.
Cool, good to know. Man is it ever soft. I was taking some riding video and the camera bumped the lip of the tach housing trim while I was tring to mount the camera. It dented and I can straighten with just my fingers.:surprise:

Well you nailed it. Not surprised. That's why I came here. Thanks very much! The ride home today made my bike look like this.
ResizeofIcyVmax006.jpg

Yeah man. Cold! It was freezing rain. I wouldn't have ridden if it was sticking to the street. I was wearing long johns, a sweater, snow bibs, a ski mask, a leather jacket and a denim jacket, and a half helmet, with safety glasses. My gloves and jacket iced up too. The jacket crackled with breaking ice when I moved. I've ridden in 18 degrees before, but this was worse. My lips (exposed) and hands (cheap gloves) got cold. But other than that my gear was up to the challenge. Man that was the slowest I've ever ridden the vmax 8^). I just couldn't leave it there exposed and vulnerable.
ResizeofRotationofIcyVmax004.jpg

You know, a full face helmet protects your face fairly well from water and such. Decent scarf around the bottom will keep the wind out aswell.

Heated grips also work wonders for keeping your hands warm and relativly dry.

I have a full face, but I don't really like them. The peripheral vision reduction makes me nervous. Do you have a link to some heated grips? thanks!

carbonvmax said:
Well you nailed it. Not surprised. That's why I came here. Thanks very much! The ride home today made my bike look like this.
ResizeofIcyVmax006.jpg

Jeez!!, Your'e a tough Sumbitch....

Latest posts

Back