Increasing MPG

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
My 89 model rarely gets over 85 mileper tank, once I got 100 out of it. Does anyone have a fuel preference? We have 3 types of fuel here in Aus 10% ethenol, 95 oct and 98 oct. What would you use?

OK I have a question since it has been mentioned here. This is my first V Max I have owned, ridden many but this one is mine. I have to switch to reserve @ the 95 to 100 mark consistantly. I do have a carb issue that is currently being worked on via carb cleaning and air fuel mixture chassis dyno tuning. Bike has K&N pod filters, stage 7 Dyno Jet kit and Slip on mufflers. I am hoping that the tuning will help the MPG.

How much could I gain by swaping out for a Venture Diff? I commute with the bike with occasional longer trips. The higher RPM WOT time is limited to me just playing around on the back roads. The people I ride with..well..I could pull off a couple plug wires and still outrun them. LOL

Question is about the fuel light. When should it come on. I have had to switch to reserve several times when the bike starts to sputter. Flip the switch and away I go....to the gas station LOL. But I have never seen the light come on at any time.

When should I see it light up?

Ray

My 89 model rarely gets over 85 mileper tank, once I got 100 out of it. Does anyone have a fuel preference? We have 3 types of fuel here in Aus 10% ethenol, 95 oct and 98 oct. What would you use?

Avoid the ethenol like the plague. messes your carbs up, and you lose power.

I searched for a station that offers "pure Gas". Because I live very near lake St Clair, there are a lot of marinas that sell gas with no ethanol. They charge thru the roof for that gas. But I found a Clark station across from a boat launch that sells 100% pure gas. Their price is in line with other gas stations so I tried some.

On 10% I fill up at 120 miles and take 3.2 gal. On pure gas I still fill up at 120 miles, but I only take 3 gal. So I do get better mileage and based on roll ons with some of my friends, I seem to get a bit more power. Problem is its about 5 mile out of my way to get the pure gas so its about a wash. I just put my Honda away for the winter and made sure to run it dry then fill with pure gas. I will do the same to the V-Max after drag strip day on the 13th.

Thats a very long way of saying "if you can get 100%gas, get it!)

Craig

Oh by the way, when I ride with Vmax Mike and gang, It doesn't matter what gas I use, I better be pulling into that Gas station at about 80 miles. So I guess if you want to get better mileage stay away for other v-max.

Milage is all in the wrist. I can get 40mpg. Or, I can get 30mpg. I'm running a 180/55/17 with a Venture pimpkin. So, I'm aprox at stock ratiio.This is a good set up for me. I went 145 miles on a tank once (all stock with 170 Shinko rear), but was on fumes when I pulled up to the pump.How much gas you really get in at fill up matters too. I shake my bike around and slowly get all I can in there when on a trip or milage check. Most milage checks don't go well. Who can resist whacking that throttle open?
Pure gas? it's just a dream in my area, except for maybe aviation stuff. Shell seems to be best for throttle responce. There may be something to the Techtron additive Shell uses.
Steve-o

Last edited:
I'm stuck with the 10% ethenol blend in the stations here. (unless I drive 15 miles out of town) Now according to the "experts" the premium fuels have a less % of ethenol per gallon. I do stick to them for that reason.

Have heard that the federal government it talking about "FORCING" the fuel manufactures to increase to 15% ethenol. :bang head: What the hell. I have a couple older bikes (early eighties) that do not tolerate the ethenol well at all. If they increase it I'm not sure what I will do.

I have been thinking about gettling a tank with a farm pump and have pure gas delivered. If I list it as "Off Road Use Only" I can get fuel without the road use tax. Doesn't help when needing fuel while on the road but I could keep the bikes on mostly pure gas.

Ray

Back