Installing cover inserts-help

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rusty McNeil

Reaction score
Installing cover inserts
Has anyone installed any kind of insert in to the water pump or middle gear cover. I can see that it IS an insert, I've drilled a hole thru it to get a grip and pull on it. I thought it was maybe held in place by o-ring tension but when I pull it out far enough it looks like there is a metal snap-ring or something in there. I just can't get it out far enough to pull the ring out. Am I not pulling hard enough or do I need to do something different?
I don't wanna screw up and break anything.

Anyone done this that can help?

Thanks,

Rusty

Installing cover inserts
Has anyone installed any kind of insert in to the water pump or middle gear cover. I can see that it IS an insert, I've drilled a hole thru it to get a grip and pull on it. I thought it was maybe held in place by o-ring tension but when I pull it out far enough it looks like there is a metal snap-ring or something in there. I just can't get it out far enough to pull the ring out. Am I not pulling hard enough or do I need to do something different?
I don't wanna screw up and break anything.

Anyone done this that can help?

Thanks,

Rusty

If I remember right, the insert comes out in (broken) pieces so you need a replacement one. There is a snap ring in there that isn't removeable until you break the insert out. Someone correct if I'm wrong. I'll lok through my notes to be sure.

Yeh the best way is to drill a straight line of 6mm diameter holes accross the insert to within 3mm of the edge then snap one half out with a big screwdriver. If the ends of the snapring are then exposed use pliers to remove but if you don`t see the ends you will have to lever the other half of the insert out too.

Back