Is anyone headed to Sturgis or has gone in the past?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have never been out there, but it does look like some beautiful country to ride. Maybe next year for me.

Never been.
I'd like to ride the area but not during the rally. Too many people for me.

Exactly what he said. I live within a few minutes of Sturgis and it's not a good thing. The Black Hills are an amazing place to ride but during the rally it's clogged up with pseudo-bikers and RVs, so essentially all that moves extra slow and takes all lanes on the superslab to form rolling road blocks. The lack of experience is palpable and pretty concerning to me so I dont ride during the rally except to get out of the area. This year I'm hunkered down with everything I need to not have to go to town for the next couple weeks.

If you picture open winding scenic rides where your in any gear other than 1st or 2nd, then the rally is not for you. You will need saint-like patience to negotiate all the inexperienced riders and RV traffic, you will need some luck too, usually a handful of fatalities each year. If it's about showing off and/or you LOVE people, come on out and have a good time. If it's about riding then your too late. This place is just spectacular before everyone shows up. Spring or Fall are going to be stellar times to come enjoy the hills.

BTW, folks are already here for the rally, campers already setting up at the chip since last week. They say it wont be that big but I'm not so sure.

I'm out. I have no patience, lol. I can totally imagine, way too many people and way too many different personalities. I am headed out there in a few weeks with the family, so, no motorcycle for me, but I do want to check out the area as it looks beautiful. I have never seen the Badlands or some of the Nat'l Parks out there. Thanks!

The Badlands and Nat'l parks are definitely going to be worthwhile places to add to your trip. You will certainly enjoy it a whole lot more if you wait for the visiting crowd to leave. Not sure when your last visit this way was but just so that you know, Rapid City has grown significantly and is pretty overcrowded year around.

The real attraction around here is the scenery and usable forestry, a lot of the tourist traps are money grabs, nothing can top the hills themselves and that is what this place is really all about. It's just too amazing for words. Since you are an animal person (assuming) then a trip to Reptile Gardens may be in order, and the crystal caves are pretty cool too. Of course Mt Rushmore is a sight, and the roads around it are just going to make you wish you had brought your bike, I mean really wish!

Been there on a 75 gt750, a sportster, then the max during the rally.
Gt got the most compliments. None on sporty. A few on max.

Go before or after the rally. Casey nailed it. Pretty much everyone was super chill there though.
It is neat watching drunken bastards beat the shit out of their prized harleys....burning the tire while redlining, dropping them, getting busted and such.

I never been to Sturgis. I had a buddy of mine that went back in the 90s. Said it was pretty much die hard HD guys. He took a picture of a couple of them hoisting a crotch rocket into a tree there. While I would love to visit the area for the parks....Sturgis holds no appeal to me.

Latest posts

Back