Is this colored chrome?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Its probably the spray chrome binary solution that you can find videos of online. Every chrome setup I have seen (other than standard and black) has been through some form of a binary solution.

Definitely a deviation of vacuum metalization (used on plastic base materials). We do have colored chrome and the effects are going to be very similar.

Black Chrome is actually a Black Nickel and that's why it's not as durable. All other chromes are done by doing regular chrome and then applying a colored clear powdercoating to get the desired color.

I gotta believe that it's the same "chrome" that's on all our plastic mirrors. So paint. The tank is the only thing that could have been chromed anyway, since none of the plastics conduct electricity. At least from the way I understand the chroming process. Looks cool if you like ruined italian superbikes.

I had chrome bodywork on my Max at one time. The airbox cover was actual chrome because it is metal but the fenders were some kind of film (not a wrap). The rear fender had a bubble I'm guessing because of improper prep. Looked ok but murder in the bright Texas sun... Sold on eBay years ago.

You can chrome plastic, it is a special process. They've been doing it since the 60's in cars.

I would assume this is a wrap. Thought it could possibly be powder coat over chrome plastic parts. But I think that would be a waste. To wrap a few parts on a bike would probably run you a few hundred dollars vs $1000 to chrome and powder coat. Not to mention the wrap would be more durable over the long haul and easily fixed and replaced if need be. In fact I would think that you could proabbly wrap a bike 3 times for the cost of one plate and coat process. That way you could change colors over the years and 10 years down the road would still probably be cheaper in the long run than doing the plating.

I've plated a few plastic parts and I don't do it anymore. Just not worth it.

I thought I was going to get started with the Spectrachrome process in addition to the powder coating I do but upon further research, I am not combined in the quality of the end product results. You can You Tube the company and process. It is a proprietary machine they want to sell you. Many machines are for sale used which I am sure is because of poor results. Do you guys remember Kirby vaccums?
The factory demo shows brand new top of the line spray booths, full body suits and respirators. Imagine spraying a garden hose of three or four chemical solutions to get the finish. Then what about the runoff? They have a capture option. The supplies are not cheap by any means. So there you have it. Maybe with perfect prep in a perfect atmosphere with perfect technique and you would probably do acceptable work. I am too small to have parts coming back for mediocre results and redo projects. I have the factory still calling me to sell me but I think I'm pretty much decided against it.

OK I ll tease.... how do you know.....:biglaugh:

$T2eC16JHJHsFGlESrmgSBR1Z77SBbg%7E%7E60_57.JPG

Back