Is this normal ?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gunrunner

Reaction score
I topped up my oil about 1 month ago , i have noticed the other day that the oil light came on earlier than normally does . Have just checked the level again and its low in need of topping up again .

The bike has done 5635 kms since last oil change .
I do manage to have the oil light on alot lately in gears 1 - 3 , does this burn more oil when this happens when in boost mode , or could something else be up ?:confused2:

My 97 was using some oil between changes when I first bought it. The P/O had not taken care of the engine for sure, had to rebuild 2 years later. How many km's on your 92?

I'M NOT SURE ALOT OF US CAN ANSWER THIS , ALOT OF US CHANGE OUR OIL EVERY 1,000 MILES OR SO , IT NEVER HAS THE CHANCE TO BE LOW ! SORRY I CAN'T BE MORE HELP ! ...:confused2:

id never put that many miles on it without changing my oil. Did you inspect for oil spots where you park it and look around the engine? If you cant find any leaks check the compression and if thats normal i wouldnt really be too worried about it

id never put that many miles on it without changing my oil. Did you inspect for oil spots where you park it and look around the engine? If you cant find any leaks check the compression and if thats normal i wouldn't really be too worried about it
EXACTLY , IF ITS RUNNING LIKE A RAPED APE & NOT SMOKING & OR FOULING PLUGS , I'D JUST CHANGE THE OIL MORE OFTEN ! IF I GO 1,500 MILES WITHOUT CHANGING MY OIL ,, I CAN'T EVEN SLEEP !...:rofl_200:

I change my oil every 5,000kms (3000 miles) and I'm usually down half a liter of oil - was the same amount on my 96 too. I chalk it up as to usual consumption and not an engine problem. My 06 has 24,000 kms (14,000 miles) and my 96 had 112,000 miles and consumed the same amount.

Mike

I change my oil every 5,000kms (3000 miles) and I'm usually down half a liter of oil - was the same amount on my 96 too. I chalk it up as to usual consumption and not an engine problem. My 06 has 24,000 kms (14,000 miles) and my 96 had 112,000 miles and consumed the same amount.

Mike
DAM MAXCRUISER , THATS ALOT OF RIDING !...:punk:

With all my bikes ive had i usually do an oil change every 6000 kms anyway , so its due for one soon anyway .
I had heard that if you ride it hard in 1st ,2nd gears the g forces on it moves the oil to the back of the sump and if boosting this would cause you to use more oil .
Would just like to know if this is the case .:punk:

Pressurized crankcase due to clogged PCV or breather system:

The engine is a giant pump, consequently it must breathe. The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system does just this, allows the engine to exhaust the excess pressure build-up (which is a natural phenomenon of the internal combustion engine). Carbon build-up is a by-product of an engine and can build up in the PCV system, clogging the breathing passages. This in turn pressurizes the oil pan and pushes oil up into the fuel delivery system, where it is fed into the engine and burned.

Pressurized crankcase due to clogged PCV or breather system:

The engine is a giant pump, consequently it must breathe. The PCV (Positive Crankcase Ventilation) system does just this, allows the engine to exhaust the excess pressure build-up (which is a natural phenomenon of the internal combustion engine). Carbon build-up is a by-product of an engine and can build up in the PCV system, clogging the breathing passages. This in turn pressurizes the oil pan and pushes oil up into the fuel delivery system, where it is fed into the engine and burned.
Excellent post.

And that's why some manufacters making gas ports in pistons like ARIAS.
Its prevents in some level but never perfectly.

Anyway oil consumption in high-strained engines like v-max its quite normal but if that phenomenon exceeds 1l per 1000km need to be checked.

My max takes about 200-400ml per 1000km and it's quite normal.

It depends how much do you force you throttle :biglaugh:

I don't ride my '86 very hard although I do get into boost every now and then, hitting 8-9k RPM in 2nd and 3rd gear usually. At 42,000 miles, I haven't seen eat 'drink' any oil yet. I'm changing it at about 3,000 intervals, and have not had to top it up once yet.

I would say it's due to hard riding, clogged up PCV as detailed in the other post, and possibly rings wear although if that was the case the engine would probably not work quite as well and also be a bit smoky.

Back