It's ALIVE !!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thepretender

Reaction score
My 700 Fazer has started for the first time in 15 years woo hoo !!!!!!!!
Got the carbs back from Sean and then found out the fuel pump was shot. I got a reasonable facsimile of one until I get one I'm sure will fit and put it on. Put fuel in the tank to see if the small leak was successfully taken care of, all was good so I balanced the tank on top and gave it a crank. I got slight hints of something happening then remembered to pull the choke and a second latter it started :) Let it run a few min. and got a little better as I went especially after it revved up an spit out a bunch of smoke lol As much smoke was coming from down below where clutch oil had leaked on the pipes and bottom of the engine as was coming out the pipes so I shut it down and will work on it tomorrow. Being dark and late anyway seemed the best thing to do.
I wouldn't call it running but it started and ran more than once so thats good. :eusa_dance::clapping:

A couple of problems, at idle one side pops a little bit, I used my hand to enhance the sound in this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7IvVNCxfHJc&feature=youtu.be
Is this a serious problem?

Got to figure out the clutch, lever dose nothing can switch gears but but without use of the clutch. The master was frozen so got a replacement on ebay but seems to have only been part of the problem.Is this the frozen clutch problem that some have limited success fixing with some quick take offs or do I need to take apart something? The only thing I know about clutches is keep the res full :)

If it's been sitting 15 years, the plates are probably stuck-together. Price of a clutch cover gasket & some fresh oil should fix that. Disassemble the pressure plate, and soak the friction discs in fresh oil overnight, reassemble, and you are probably going to be good to go.

Of course a good bleed is always needed. it's easier to push fluid UP from the slave than to PULL it down from the master cyl, assuming you have a hydraulic clutch. Search on the forum using that 'search' function about using a syringe & a short piece of clear plastic tubing hose clamped to the clutch slave cyl to push fluid up into the master cyl,. which will also make any air bubbles flow up & out into the master cyl. 'Fanning' the clutch lever repeatedly once you closed the slave bleeder should cause lots of tiny bubbles to flow out of the very small forward hole (the hole closer to the lever ball end is much-bigger) in the floor of the master cyl. once the big air bubbles stop coming-up. Remember that as your fluid purge comes closer to all-fluid and no bubbles, the action of squeezing the clutch lever will send a geyser of fluid up from the hole, and you could spill the fluid onto bodywork.

Turns out a proper bleeding is important, 2 more try's is all it took with the clutch :th_image003:

Last problem rear breaks, hitting pedal dose not push any fluid using a pump couldn't pull any fluid. Hopefully taking it apart and cleaning will do the trick, no kits for rebuild so fingers crossed. Fluid was very dark red.

Popping of the engine seemed louder under load took it up to 15 mph around the condo :) Don't trust the tires any faster.

Back