Jet Kit?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

98Max

Reaction score
What kit is the simplest to tune with KErker full exhaust sytem? Morley,Dynajet???? im running slip ons with stock jetting now but considering stage 7 kit with full exhaust soon here.

The cheapest is Morley's kit. You get the most power/torque and it isn't that much more expensive than DJ stage 1. Stage 7 is another option, but is more difficult to tune on the low to midrange. It's also more tempermental in regards to humidity and temperature.

I'm ordering my Morley kit at the end of the riding season. Someone has both a stage 7 and a Morely kit and did a side by side comparison and was going to do a write up... never did see it, did anyone else?

Uh, that was me. Haven't finished it yet....need to writeup Topeka event first. I'm a major procrASStinator.

Buster, here are my notes thus far. When I get the article written, I'll post here.

Morley Pros:
- Velocity stacks richen you up everywhere,
mask some low-end carburetion problems
- Cheaper product ($200)
- works well with stock main jets if using DJ needles
- also works well with stock needles
- works great with stock or open vboost
- Vmax seems to like the airbox and velocity stacks
- change of humidity/temp isn't noticeable, no
jettingchanges necessary for cooler temps

Morley Cons:
- Velocity stacks richen you up everywhere
- more work to tune low end carburetion (I think
bigger PAJ1 would help, didn't have the jet selection
to try)
- bigger mains (Mikuni 162.5's in my case) are needed
with stock non-adjustable needles
- open vboost makes low end richness problem
worse. Need to open it up once in awhile to
prevent loading of carbs.

Stage 7 Pros:
- Works with stock or open vboost
- easier to tune low-end
- works well with stock main jets
- intake noise gives me a chubby
- works best with open vboost

Stage 7 Cons:
- Expensive ($300 - $450 depending on vendor)
- more filters to clean/oil
- supplied puke bottle is cheesy looking
- you can smell the blow-by crank gases (I like it!)
- more temperamental to changes in weather

I rode with stage 7 for two weeks, it ran great. I switched to Morley's kit last night.....low end and midrange are much better because of the cooler weather. Rode the bike to work, it was 45* with a high of 60* or so. Top end is similar to stage 7.

Summary: Morley's kit rocks...so does stage 7. Stage 7 takes more work to tune. Low to lower midrange of stage 7 seems a bit tame. I didn't have the jet selection to experiment. If you get Morley's kit, I recommend stock jets and make adjustments with DJ needles. Much easier than swapping main jets and stacking a bunch of shims. Doesn't matter to me, I have custom Czernics shims and a good selection of jets. It take me about 45 minutes to swap mains.

maleko89 said:
Uh, that was me. Haven't finished it yet....need to writeup Topeka event first. I'm a major procrASStinator.

LOL... sorry Mark, I didn't realize it was you and I wasn't trying to put you (or anyone) on the spot! I thought I had missed the write up and was interested in the comparison. Thanks for the update above!

Back