June 6, 1944

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kronx

Reaction score
74 years ago today. The video is the infamous scene from Saving Private Ryan. A scene which the late great Paul Fussell suggested be released as a stand alone film titled "Omaha Beach - Aren't You Glad You Weren't There?"

Picture is from the D Day Museum Arromanches, Normandy. The picture in particular pains me as we've recently declared those allies as national security threats.

I just think about the soldiers who never even made it off the landing craft and I just sit in awe and reverence of the bravery and sacrifice made by the brave soldiers. Today we are so used instant messaging I can only imagine in that time and era, the families back home hearing about such a massive assault and tremendous casualties and so many families hoping their loved ones survived it. The days/weeks/months of anxiety of waiting to hear something...anything from their soldiers. My deepest respect and condolences to anyone here who may have lost someone on this day 74 years ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-bogN0V8RM

Attachments

• DDMuseum.jpg
    DDMuseum.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 11
May those that have died either in the landing, or in the time since rest in peace. They were truly The Greatest Generation. We owe them, and everyone who served, whenever or wherever, a debt we can never repay.

Something the Millennials should be required to write 10-page, single-spaced papers on: world history from June 6, 1944 to August 14, 1945. Extra credit: two single-spaced pages on The Final Solution and the Nuremberg Defense.

No paper with a minimum grade of 'C' and vetted for originality (plagiarism detection software will be used); no high school diploma. No extra credit to be awarded until passage of the main paper with the minimum grade required.

Attachments

• d day.jpg
    d day.jpg
    72.6 KB · Views: 10
Something the Millennials should be required to write 10-page, single-spaced papers on: world history from June 6, 1944 to August 14, 1945. Extra credit: two single-spaced pages on The Final Solution and the Nuremberg Defense.

No paper with a minimum grade of 'C' and vetted for originality (plagiarism detection software will be used); no high school diploma. No extra credit to be awarded until passage of the main paper with the minimum grade required.

I'd rather the folks in D.C. who have the power to send Americans to war pass that test before they're sworn into office. I'd also like to require them to spend an entire day at Arlington and be required to be at Dover when fallen soldiers return. They should not be able to ignore the results of their decisions.

Latest posts

Back