Just like ol' times... grrrrrrrrr!

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OU812

Reaction score
Well... I had some ankle surgery, major, 8 weeks ago and just this past Monday got the "ok" for full weight, which I understand as "heel-toe" shifter...
Last summer I picked up an 02' Vstar 1100 Silverado for a descent $$$.
Rode it quite a bit last year, and then again this year with the early Ohio spring with no problems. ( and absoluuuutly, no guts...:damn angry:
It sat on a tender along side my Vmax all winter and just the other day it just died. Backfired a few, and then gone. No lights, guages, nutta... Figured battery crapped out. Trailered it home. Charged er' up, checked the resting amps @ 12.6-7 ish... Checked the stator at anywhere from 13.8 to 14.1 @3,000 rpm's. All good... Not. Made it home this time... ( I know all this cuz, well, I've owned tooo many Vmax's not to :) Checked it all @ the ranch, come to find that I'm not havin' any chargin' goin on as the bike warms up. Ya-No? ( Sean & friends ) In the past when the stators went on my Vmax's, as they do, they WENT. GONE. C YA! No in and out with temp. Is this a sign of something else.? Reg/rec?

Well... I had some ankle surgery, major, 8 weeks ago and just this past Monday got the "ok" for full weight, which I understand as "heel-toe" shifter...
Last summer I picked up an 02' Vstar 1100 Silverado for a descent $$$.
Rode it quite a bit last year, and then again this year with the early Ohio spring with no problems. ( and absoluuuutly, no guts...:damn angry:
It sat on a tender along side my Vmax all winter and just the other day it just died. Backfired a few, and then gone. No lights, guages, nutta... Figured battery crapped out. Trailered it home. Charged er' up, checked the resting amps @ 12.6-7 ish... Checked the stator at anywhere from 13.8 to 14.1 @3,000 rpm's. All good... Not. Made it home this time... ( I know all this cuz, well, I've owned tooo many Vmax's not to :) Checked it all @ the ranch, come to find that I'm not havin' any chargin' goin on as the bike warms up. Ya-No? ( Sean & friends ) In the past when the stators went on my Vmax's, as they do, they WENT. GONE. C YA! No in and out with temp. Is this a sign of something else.? Reg/rec?

If it were a Vmax I`d say do the ground wire mod (ground the reg/rec with a thick ground wire with soldered connectors directly to the battery negative terminal in stead of a screw to the frame...) but I don`t know if the Vstar is the same?

Sean & co., if yer out there... Are these Vstars prone to the same evils that plague the Vmax's?
Yes, I thought of the " crimp fix" & eliminating as many of the connections as possible, but the electricles look much dif once ya get past where the block of wires comes outta the stator case. Doesn't look to me like the Vmax in there. Any input here would be great as I am limited to the "heel-toe" shifter for the next 4 or so weeks... :bang head:

I am not sure if they have similar issues? BUT, the charging systems are going to be similar so I don't see why it couldn't be something similar. We have a 800 Marauder here I can't get to charge like it should and still trying to sort that one out.

On the vmax the regulator dies far more often than the stators do.

Sean

Thanks. Guess I'm gonna plop myself down and just start with all the connections & such. I will say that just to get to the r/r on this truck is not gonna be as easy as the Vmax:damn angry:
Good luck w/ your project there...:ummm:

Well, so far it was the r/r... $80 oem... Back to charging @ 13.8 to 14.2...:eusa_dance: Off of this scooter & back to funnin' it! :punk::

Attachments

• 20120808_122915.jpg
    20120808_122915.jpg
    83 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back