Kerker 4-1 problem?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ebein_486

Reaction score
I tightened the bolts on the exhaust, a few of them where little better than finger tight.

I couldnt get at the to inner rear bolts to check them :bang head: what kinda special allen wrenches do you need to get at those? Ive got regular L and socketed Allens and cant get either seated.

After tightening what I could I then moved on to changing my oil & filter, I was replacing the oil cap I looked down at the rear pipes. Is there supposed to be a clamp on the rear set of down tubes or are they supposed to be welded?

The Kerkers are ceramic coated and have a nice bit of gloss to them, but where the downtube meets ( the right rear cylinder ) it looks dirty like
Ive got a leak there.

I get an occasional pop/backfire on decel.

Any suggestions/advice/help/manual labor would be appreciated. :rofl_200:

You could grind the end of an Allen Wrench to shorten it slightly. May be easier to go in through the opposite side to tighten the inner rears.

The Down pipes have no clamps and mine do leak some. Clamps would make it impossible to take apart.

Occasional pop / back fire on decel. How often? it may not be a problem at all.:confused2:

Good Luck,

You could grind the end of an Allen Wrench to shorten it slightly. May be easier to go in through the opposite side to tighten the inner rears.

The Down pipes have no clamps and mine do leak some. Clamps would make it impossible to take apart.

Occasional pop / back fire on decel. How often? it may not be a problem at all.:confused2:

Good Luck,

Pop/backfire on decel about every 3-4th stop if I let off the gas and let it engine brake a bit before grabbing the clutch and getting on the brakes.

Problem with riding style? Force myself to get on the clutch early?:ummm:

:punk: Ebein, I changed my allen wrench type nuts to Chrome Acorn nuts from Ace Hardware and use a standard socket to tighten. good Luck, Spurs

Guessing, but there may be a problem with your carbs deceleration enricher circuit.. Or, it could be air entering the exhaust near the ports...

Guessing, but there may be a problem with your carbs deceleration enricher circuit.. Or, it could be air entering the exhaust near the ports...

I will try and get a clamp on the rear pipes and makes sure those two rear ones are tightened down. Probably cant get to it till this weekend, but will report back after I do.

Thanks! :clapping::punk:

Best bet to check that is fire it up and while it's still warming up reach in behind the header flange and feel for air leaks. Simple but affective.

We use a section of allen that was taken out of a allen socket bit though a cut down allen and 8mm wrench work the best. Tighten the insides first then the outside. The rear tubes are a slip fit and can be siliconed together or left as is.

Sean

Thanks Sean. Am I going to have to disassemble the exhaust to get the silicon on there?

I checked and I am getting a puff of air from the right rear, can also see significant carbon buildup , where there is little to none on the left rear.

Nothing much other then they suck to get apart sometimes. If it's not super bad I would not worry too much about it myself. It's not uncommon to get some tracer tracks showing the leaks around the rear tubes. Usually this doesn't hurt anything.

Sean

You dont think this is the cause of my occasional backfires on decel? Or the backfires just not something to really worry about?

Thanks again!

Mine blows a cloud of smoke out the 2 rear pipe joints at initial start up. I don't get any pops or back firing.

I dunno, maybe Im just paranoid its going to just blow up one of these days :rofl_200:.

Hard to get a picture of the actual connection.

Attachments

• rsz_imag0003.jpg
    rsz_imag0003.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 17
  • rsz_imag0005.jpg
    rsz_imag0005.jpg
    45.4 KB · Views: 17
Almost looks like it's not fully installed up but as you noted it's hard to see by those pics.

Sean

Probably cant see anything in these, just ones I had in my gallery, Ill try again tonight when I have better light and more time, I took the other ones on my way out the door for work at 5:30 this morning.

Attachments

• phpVnLs9TAM.jpg
    phpVnLs9TAM.jpg
    50.8 KB · Views: 7
  • phpgz99XvAM.jpg
    phpgz99XvAM.jpg
    91.5 KB · Views: 10
Back