knocking?

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had some pretty bad knocking a while back with my '93 Max! It was a definate mechanical clicking/tapping that went away with higher revs (or I couldn't hear it anymore)

Turned out to be worn conrods in the end, they were soft in the early years apparently. And they only had one oil hole at the top, newer versions have two! (mine now has three :biglaugh:)

http://www.freehomepages.com/johnpclynch/VMax/teardown.html

Loose starter clutch bolts will also give a rattle but much lower down in the engine

Yeah, my '85 makes a ton of noise once it warms up. I can't tell if it is a valve noise or if it is some kind of rod knock. It is a clicking sound. I listened to it tonight and it really did sound like it was lower in the motor than the heads.

Either way, I am going to boogie it until it pukes. If it blows up, it blows up. It is not daily transportation so I am not sweating it too badly.

Mike

I just got a PM that made me remember this thread! I took the bike to a Yamaha Dealer whose mechanic has been working on Yammies for 20+ years, he was happy to see another V-Max.

After a day of playing with the bike and me being on the edge of my seat, it was concluded that the sound was normal, and I was being way too anal about every little blip the bike makes.

Atlanta Motor world was my savior :punk:

Boy was I ever glad to see this thread. I just lost out on a 2000 V-MAX deal that was a nice bike mechanically, but they were asking too much for it the way it was.
I just brought home a '93 V-Max that is all stock and appears as though it has lived a pretty nice life of 50,000km, but there is this knocking sound at idle (750 - 1100RPM). It's not too loud, but is noticeable....it sounds like it's bottom end, behind the magneto side, and goes away above idle. Bike starts, runs and drives great. Took a chance on the purchase that this is a normal noise and from what I've read here, seems like some of these things can get noisy.
Was gonna tear it down this winter and fix it if it goes through the summer okay, but now i don't think I'll bother.

I'm going to burble this one back to the top.

Some might remember my intro to the group recently where I complained of a noisy engine - especially while cold. Well, when cold it definitely sounds "knockish" with no change when the clutch is pulled in. Runs like a scalded dawg and the "knock" pretty much goes away above idle and when warmed up.

I'm going to ignore it, but keep my ear out...

I'm going to burble this one back to the top.

Some might remember my intro to the group recently where I complained of a noisy engine - especially while cold. Well, when cold it definitely sounds "knockish" with no change when the clutch is pulled in. Runs like a scalded dawg and the "knock" pretty much goes away above idle and when warmed up.

I'm going to ignore it, but keep my ear out...

How did your bike fair? I just bought my first Vmax, '86. Has a noise, cyl. 3, compression OK, can hear and feel it in top end when cranking over. goes away if remove plug, returns with compression gauge. wrist pin?

Back