Safety Gear

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

VMAXXIMUM

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I realize as I type this that those that choose not to wear protective gear will likely continue to express their freedom of choice to be under protected. I still believe that I should share my experience in the hope that it serves as a wake-up call for someone. On Tuesday night I was riding home from work on a very lightly traveled road and at approximately 9pm a driver unexpected darted thru a stop sign across my lane I attempted to swerve around him hoping that he would see me and at least slow down. Unfortunately he did not and I was unable to get around him. He essentially t boned me and knocked my Vmax out from under me. I had full gear on full face helmet, armored jacket, armored riding pants, motorcycle gloves and riding boots. I suffered a compound tibia fracture that erupted near my knee and a shattered tibia and fibula just above my ankle as well as a broken big toe and several broken bones in my foot a few lacerations and significant soft tissue injuries. Obviously surgery was required along with a titanium rod and pins. 0 road rash, no head injury and no other bruising.
For any of you that talk yourself out of full gear. 100% gear 100% of the time is the only way to go. That should be our expression of choice. I have a 6 to 9 month recovery and this riding and track season are over. Be safe ride your style and wear the gear.
Christian

Sorry to hear about this. Hope your recovery is fast and full. I couldnt agree more on full gear head to toe. Dont leave home without it.

I realize as I type this that those that choose not to wear protective gear will likely continue to express their freedom of choice to be under protected. I still believe that I should share my experience in the hope that it serves as a wake-up call for someone. On Tuesday night I was riding home from work on a very lightly traveled road and at approximately 9pm a driver unexpected darted thru a stop sign across my lane I attempted to swerve around him hoping that he would see me and at least slow down. Unfortunately he did not and I was unable to get around him. He essentially t boned me and knocked my Vmax out from under me. I had full gear on full face helmet, armored jacket, armored riding pants, motorcycle gloves and riding boots. I suffered a compound tibia fracture that erupted near my knee and a shattered tibia and fibula just above my ankle as well as a broken big toe and several broken bones in my foot a few lacerations and significant soft tissue injuries. Obviously surgery was required along with a titanium rod and pins. 0 road rash, no head injury and no other bruising.
For any of you that talk yourself out of full gear. 100% gear 100% of the time is the only way to go. That should be our expression of choice. I have a 6 to 9 month recovery and this riding and track season are over. Be safe ride your style and wear the gear.
Christian
Greeting from Alton, Ontario Canada. You are correct about wearing proper gear when on a Motorcycle... Praying for your full recovery. I ride a 2007 Vmax.

Sorry about your event and glad you are ok!
I’m with you on all of it ,all the time I don’t care about temperature. yep sometimes it’s really uncomfortable and no I can’t do a thing about the breaking , but I can give a serious good shot at keeping my skin and my melon intact. I just retired my old shoei 1200 lid for a 1400 it was time here it was just under a grand best money I’ve spent on the bike so far!!!!!!!

Hope you heal well and maybe get back on the horse.

Speedy recovery
Peter

Sorry about your event and glad you are ok!
I’m with you on all of it ,all the time I don’t care about temperature. yep sometimes it’s really uncomfortable and no I can’t do a thing about the breaking , but I can give a serious good shot at keeping my skin and my melon intact. I just retired my old shoei 1200 lid for a 1400 it was time here it was just under a grand best money I’ve spent on the bike so far!!!!!!!

Hope you heal well and maybe get back on the horse.

Speedy recovery
Peter
I’ll be back in the stable as soon as I can walk. Thank you Peter
Do you think you could send me some of your honey to help with my recovery? 🙂

Christian
Greetings from Boston England. As a teenager in 1974 I T boned a car on my Triumph at about 50Mph. It cost me 4 months in hospital but my helmet saved me else I wouldn't be here now. I once saw a helmet advert in a bike shop which read "How much is your brain worth." Never forgotten it.

Greetings from Boston England. As a teenager in 1974 I T boned a car on my Triumph at 50mph. It cost me 4 months in hospital but my helmet saved me else I wouldn't be here now. I once saw a helmet advert in a bike shop which read "How much is your brain worth?" Never forgotten it and it's worth thinking about when buying a good quality helmet.

Back