List Your Repairs

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's interesting to read everyone's posts.

Those fork seals certainly don't last very long, do they?

I'm a little surprised at the # of final drive repairs. But I guess is you put your miles on 1/4 mile at a time then it'll eventually break. :biglaugh:

1986 - bought July 08 with 37k on the clock, sold in 2010 with 47k

- head bearings were dead, replaced at 38k, most of the high speed wobble cured (but not 100%)
- kept conking out when hot on idle, Shotgun then rebuilt carbs at about 39k
- around 43k, bike got real hot and something shorted in the harness. Impossible to switch off. Ended up replacing harness from an '86 donor bike to fix it
- about 46k, would not charge. Replaced RR, still problem. Stator was burnt ('cos of dodgy connector on its output). Replaced stator then all good.

That's about it for repairs as far as I can remember, not bad over a good 10k on a 22-year old bike.

Of course I did a lot of maintenance and upgrades along the way. Oil changes, tires, wavy brakes with EBC HH, adjusted valves at about 42k, went to COPs, Venture diff, etc etc..

2000 - bought end of 2011 with 24k on clock, received end of 2012, now has about 2400 kms on clock (about 1500 miles)

- 2nd gear is gone. Felt it jumping as soon as I rode it (at 24k), but it got worse quickly. Yet to fix.

- electrical problem means no electrics when hot, yet to fix

Starter clutch @ 18K (before I bought it)

Front headers inner and outer rotted through at the weld (some time after I sold them)

Clutch push-rod & seal, but I suspect it may be the bolt adjacent to it that is weeping.

A couple of batteries.

Approaching 36K and will need to replace the clutch plates soon.

93 bought w 40,000 now has 56,000
clutch slave rebuild (leaking)
New clutch (slipped)
bike was well taken care of.

Latest posts

Back