Lithium Battery

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-Max2012

Reaction score
Hey guys,
How many of you are running Lithium batteries on your Max?
I tried to ride to work on Friday and could not get her started.
My battery is 2 years old YB16AL-A2 - Lead Acid. Checked the levels and they all looked fine. After about 6 more attempts, the battery started dying out.
A good friend gave me a brand new Lithium Battery he couldn't use because it did not fit his bike. Unfortunately, its a little bit too thick for the Max also, but I could mod the battery box and extend the wires to make it fit 'If it worked at all". As a test, I made a lead from the (-) terminal to reach the battery. (+) terminal connected normally.. Went to start it and it fired right up in about 4 revolutions of the engine, and it turned over FASTER than it ever did!!. I let it run for about 10 minutes - checking the charging voltage and that seems to be on point at idle and when revved up. Shut it down and restarted.. This time it took only 2 revolutions to fire up. That little feather weight battery packs a punch. I'm now doing some research on the Shorai Lithium LFX18L-BS12.

I didn't know they had a LFX19. I'll have to check the specs on that one.

I've had a Shorai battery for 1 1/2 years. It will be going on its second winter soon. It works great and weighs nothing.
Lew

Plastic foam box created for my new Shorai Battery - Battery starts the bike NICELY..
I'll use the foam that came with the battery for another project.. I wanted something to hug the battery and the battery box. There is a foam cap that covers the top also.

I still have to repair / replace the starter clutch.. I hate that "Rocks-in-a-box" sound I get sometimes.

Shorai Battery Holder.jpg

Back