Losing the Radiator Reflectors..

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dezeez

Reaction score
I'm just about done getting the Max looking the way I want and I'd really like to get rid of the reflectors on the radiator. Is there a legal reason for them being there? I did a search and didn't find any user mods mentioning them. Has anyone found a clean looking way to take them off or maybe change them to red. Are red side markers legal? If I can't take them off, at least red would match my paint scheme better.

Last edited:
I'm just about done getting the Max looking the way I want and I'd really like to get rid of the reflectors on the radiator. Is there a legal reason for them being there? I did a search and didn't find any user mods mentioning them. Has anyone found a clean looking way to take them off or maybe change them to red. Are red side markers legal? If I can't take them off, at least red would match my paint scheme better.

Legally some states require them... Not sure if IA does but my bikes are missing all of them...:whistlin:

Check out my garage pics for an example of what to do.

I think he did what I am going to do; remove reflector and aluminum metal piece. Then fill, sand, paint. :thumbs up:

Yep! I saw other people fill in where the aluminum plate is, but leave the reflectors but I wanted to get rid of it all.

The reflectors are there but they were plastic welded in there and then filled with plastic and all sanded down. There is no epoxy or filler in them. :thumbs up: My buddy had his done and they used an epoxy filler and it shrunk and you can see where the parts used to be... So be careful and have a professional do it if possible.

Gluck,
Chris

Yep! I saw other people fill in where the aluminum plate is, but leave the reflectors but I wanted to get rid of it all.

The reflectors are there but they were plastic welded in there and then filled with plastic and all sanded down. There is no epoxy or filler in them. :thumbs up: My buddy had his done and they used an epoxy filler and it shrunk and you can see where the parts used to be... So be careful and have a professional do it if possible.

Gluck,
Chris

Very good point Chris. My auto body buddy did mine except the reflectors were removed. They turned out sweet:thumbs up: Anyway, he said the exact same thing you mentioned about using plastic weld vs epoxy.

Clay

Last edited:
Red reflectors are avaliable, i have them on mine, just unbolt on, head to a bike wreckers with one in hand for sizing, i think mine can off any early yamaha or Honda

I have kept the reflectors but painted the aluminum pieces satin or semi-gloss black to match the housings. Did this on both my Maxes. Never liked anything that called attention to the radiator on ANY bike.

After looking for the right type of filler I chanced upon some stuff called Quick Steel (by CarGo). I removed the aluminum plate and mixed this stuff up and filled it in. Once it had semi hardened I roughly shaped it with a rasp. Once it had completly hardened I useed a fine file took all of the rasp marks out of it. I still had to use a lot of elbow grease to sand it smooth because this crap is like steel(go figure, eh?)!
I am no craftsman when it comes to bodywork and I messed up one of the sides by breaking the thinner support around the wire mesh. I kinda fixed it by cutting part of it off and used some rubber coated edging to try to cover it up. (See attached) Oh well, I guess I will just have to get those Exactrep radiator covers someday to dress Ol' Redbone up some.

Attachments

• IMG_2768.jpg
    IMG_2768.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 84
I hated mine but cheaped out. I took them off, along with the rusting radiator screen and painted them with 5 coats of flat black, some sort of high heat appliance paint from Lowes. Looks WAY better now.
________
Cat wheels

Last edited:
i should have my first batch of chromed stainless inserts back this week.

Sean

Back