MAC Users beware.

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

caseyjones955

Reaction score
Hey folks, I just noticed in the news that there is a major spread of ransom ware effecting MAC machines that incrypts your data on Monday. I cant post links w phone but wanted to toss this out there for any MAC folks, I read that Apple has info and solutions. Something about Transmission but I'm Win7 user so not sure what some of that stuff means. I just felt compelled to mention it just in case.

Edit: I read it on Reuters under Top News. It is described as a ransomeware campaign.

Hey folks, I just noticed in the news that there is a major spread of ransom ware effecting MAC machines that incrypts your data on Monday. I cant post links w phone but wanted to toss this out there for any MAC folks, I read that Apple has info and solutions. Something about Transmission but I'm Win7 user so not sure what some of that stuff means. I just felt compelled to mention it just in case.

Edit: I read it on Reuters under Top News. It is described as a ransomeware campaign.

When your system says it has a pending software update, do it now. Often times issues like this are very easily avoided by patching your system regularly. If you really want to secure yourself, come over to the dark side with me and use Linux :punk:

I have oft been tempted by ubuntu or linux but keep hearing about game and software compatibility issues. I do enjoy games.

If you are a computer gamer Windows is your only option unfortunately. Nothing else will guarantee compatibility at this point. Even though many games can be played on Linux via wine, it's not like double click to install either leaving a rather wide learning curve for new users. If gaming wasn't a neccesity there is nothing that you couldn't do on Linux. While Ubuntu might be the most main stream I would recommend Linux Mint personally. Really anything Debian based is your best option, but Mint is extremely polished and quite intuitive for someone who is already familiar with Windows.

Well enough typing with my thumbs. I'm always willing to help anyone who wants to crossover to Linux. I like to say if everyone drank black coffee and used Linux, the world would be a better place :punk:

Im about to buy a laptop for my work, I would dearly love to not have windows on it. It will be used for internet and medical charting mostly so it must be secure. May I pm you once I have it? Im overdue for the dark side.

Definitely. If you need mobile security as well nearly all distros have native support for whole disk encryption on install using luks. You will have enter a password on boot, but without that password no one can decrypt the data. Personally I use a yubikey to store a 128 character key for my boot password. That way you essentially need a physical key to start the machine. The same key is used for my one time use oath tokens as well since it supports two sets of credentials.

Always happy to discuss more.

Use a MAC, install an app like Parallels, install Windows 8, 10 whatever. Run that. Get a virus on it Wipe it and start again.

Back