Made the plunge to 2018 Gen II

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DRWard

Supporting Member
Reaction score

Finally jumped to the Gen II. Wow! What a ride. I got it brand new, 0 miles. I've put about 150 miles on it since Monday. Like many have stated, not the best mileage bike, 86 miles on first tank before reserve. Trying hard to stay under the 4800 rpm breakin caution. Doing a fine job so far. Only twisted it a couple of times. Lol

Finally jumped to the Gen II. Wow! What a ride. I got it brand new, 0 miles. I've put about 150 miles on it since Monday. Like many have stated, not the best mileage bike, 86 miles on first tank before reserve. Trying hard to stay under the 4800 rpm breakin caution. Doing a fine job so far. Only twisted it a couple of times. Lol
Got me a new 2018 in February, just wait till you are able to let it eat! BEASTLY!

Nice!!!!!
I bought mine April last year. Had 5 miles on it. But it was shipped, and assembled, dealer test drove it. I didn't want a show room bike. Now I got almost 3,000 miles on it. I got the luggage rack, back rest, and boulevard fly screen with it, paid separately for those. Next is a cat delete, and Nash flash and I'm done modding. Except for cosmetics, gonna make it mine. Get used to the gas mileage, I made it to 98 once, and 68 once lol.

Nice!!!!!
I bought mine April last year. Had 5 miles on it. But it was shipped, and assembled, dealer test drove it. I didn't want a show room bike. Now I got almost 3,000 miles on it. I got the luggage rack, back rest, and boulevard fly screen with it, paid separately for those. Next is a cat delete, and Nash flash and I'm done modding. Except for cosmetics, gonna make it mine. Get used to the gas mileage, I made it to 98 once, and 68 once lol.

I bought the Yamaha backrest today. Just got a new girl friend, not sure I want to loose her off the back. Probably do the Nash Flash eventually. Not much more. Overall like the stock look of it as is.

Last edited:
That's a good idea lol. They ain't very happy after they fall off the back lol. I got the rack to hold my tail bag. For some reason having the tach/speedometer exposed is just not very pleasing to my eyes, and I thought the touring fly screen was just awful looking. I like the look of the stock mufflers, just got to find a cat delete that will allow me keep them. If you take it to the dealer for the 1st service, make sure they change the diff fluid with the correct fluid type, it's the same as the fjr1300? If I remember correctly. I heard most dealers don't stock it, and just use the other fluid. I heard we need the type with an anti foaming agent. I took mine in for it, they just changed the oil and filter. I did the diff fluid, I got Lucas synthetic 75w-90 GL5. The dealer I went to said they only seen 2 or 3 vmaxs come and go.

Attachments

• IMG_20180413_183916757_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20180413_183916757_HDR.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_20190410_191249530.jpg
    IMG_20190410_191249530.jpg
    301.3 KB · Views: 68
There was a plethora of knowledge on the starvmax forum, but it's Mia, and prolly for good sadly.

That's a good idea lol. They ain't very happy after they fall off the back lol. I got the rack to hold my tail bag. For some reason having the tach/speedometer exposed is just not very pleasing to my eyes, and I thought the touring fly screen was just awful looking. I like the look of the stock mufflers, just got to find a cat delete that will allow me keep them. If you take it to the dealer for the 1st service, make sure they change the diff fluid with the correct fluid type, it's the same as the fjr1300? If I remember correctly. I heard most dealers don't stock it, and just use the other fluid. I heard we need the type with an anti foaming agent. I took mine in for it, they just changed the oil and filter. I did the diff fluid, I got Lucas synthetic 75w-90 GL5. The dealer I went to said they only seen 2 or 3 vmaxs come and go.

Thanks for the advice on the 1st service. Dealer will be doing it, it was part of the purchase price that we negotiated. I will be sure and ask about the diff fluid.

I like your tail bag setup, fits well with the look.
Enjoy!

Thanks for the advice on the 1st service. Dealer will be doing it, it was part of the purchase price that we negotiated. I will be sure and ask about the diff fluid.

I like your tail bag setup, fits well with the look.
Enjoy!

You'll want to take your owners manual, it has the part number for the diff. Fluid.
I read on the other forum that guys actually went back and had the dealer drain what they put in and put the correct fluid back in, after the dealer ordered it. Vmaxs seem rare at the dealer, so the dealer techs really don't know much about them. Since 09 I've only seen 1 gen 2 on the road and that was in 2011, or 2012 on the interstate in Elmira/lowman NY on I86 heading west. I haven't seen another since besides mine, lol. I've seen 1 at a dealer in Florence SC 4 years ago, it was a 14 model?? Gray color they had it marked down to $14,999 it was a two year old left over.

You'll want to take your owners manual, it has the part number for the diff. Fluid.
I read on the other forum that guys actually went back and had the dealer drain what they put in and put the correct fluid back in, after the dealer ordered it. Vmaxs seem rare at the dealer, so the dealer techs really don't know much about them. Since 09 I've only seen 1 gen 2 on the road and that was in 2011, or 2012 on the interstate in Elmira/lowman NY on I86 heading west. I haven't seen another since besides mine, lol. I've seen 1 at a dealer in Florence SC 4 years ago, it was a 14 model?? Gray color they had it marked down to $14,999 it was a two year old left over.
I haven’t seen another Vmax on the road since I bought mine in February.

Very nice tail bag..does it moves by wind or it is stable? And what parts did you use ? And where did you find this tail bag ?

Very nice tail bag..does it moves by wind or it is stable? And what parts did you use ? And where did you find this tail bag ?

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/saddlemen-ftb1500-sport-sissy-bar-bag

It's mounted on the Yamaha luggage rack. It comes with straps that will work if you put it on the seat. I used 3 big zip ties rated at 110lb break strength on the 3 D rings on the bottom side of it, and far as I can tell it doesn't move at all. I wanted to keep my back seat open in case I need it. Straps are just too long and I can't get the slack out of them without them rubbing on the fender. They also have a smaller one same style that another member has on his gen 1. I had this on my 97 before I sold it. I put small S caribeeners on the zippers for a little extra security.

https://www.cyclegear.com/accessories/saddlemen-ftb1500-sport-sissy-bar-bag

It's mounted on the Yamaha luggage rack. It comes with straps that will work if you put it on the seat. I used 3 big zip ties rated at 110lb break strength on the 3 D rings on the bottom side of it, and far as I can tell it doesn't move at all. I wanted to keep my back seat open in case I need it. Straps are just too long and I can't get the slack out of them without them rubbing on the fender. They also have a smaller one same style that another member has on his gen 1. I had this on my 97 before I sold it. I put small S caribeeners on the zippers for a little extra security.
Nice.. do you have backrest with rack or you put it directly into the fender?

I just ordered the backrest and I'm thinking of the rack as well. Can you tell be the dimensions of the rack and if you have a pick without the bag that would be great.

I don't know the dimensions, I'd be lying if I guessed lol. I can take a quick measure when I get home from work. Only pic I have without the bag, I almost didn't take lol.

Attachments

• IMG_20180413_183959557.jpg
    IMG_20180413_183959557.jpg
    255.2 KB · Views: 50
I don't know the dimensions, I'd be lying if I guessed lol. I can take a quick measure when I get home from work. Only pic I have without the bag, I almost didn't take lol.
Thanks I was wondering how it looks on there and that isnt too bad. I also have a small bag Im wondering if it will fit on the the rack so thanks in advance for getting the dimensions.

Thanks I was wondering how it looks on there and that isnt too bad. I also have a small bag Im wondering if it will fit on the the rack so thanks in advance for getting the dimensions.

I haven't forgot about you, came home to a nasty t-storm last night. If it isn't storming when I get home. Storms know just when to pop up.

Back