Missing a few dust covers...

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Swoosebag

Reaction score
I noticed I am missing a few dust covers. I plan on replacing them, but I am not sure how quickly I should it. The dust cap on the driveshaft is missing. I think the part missing on the rear wheel is also a dust cover of some sort, but I am not sure. I used the picture of my other bike to show what is missing.

Are these seals critical (like replace before I ride again) or something I can do when I get around to it?

Do I need to remove the swing arm completely to put the driveline boot on?

:ummm:

Attachments

• U joint without dust cap.jpg
    U joint without dust cap.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 45
  • Wheel without cover.jpg
    Wheel without cover.jpg
    36.2 KB · Views: 47
  • Wheel with cover.jpg
    Wheel with cover.jpg
    31.9 KB · Views: 47
I would run them to preserve your drivetrain. Yes to removing the swingarm. Not a big deal. Follow the shop manual for it.

Having the boots on helps keep dirt and grime reduced to prolong the life of the parts. You should be able to ride it while you get replacement parts.

Somewhat on this topic I am wondering how you remove/replace the grey dust cover that is attach to the rear diff? I am looking to remove it, paint it, and reinstall it. Anything I need to be made aware of in doing this?

Somewhat on this topic I am wondering how you remove/replace the grey dust cover that is attach to the rear diff? I am looking to remove it, paint it, and reinstall it. Anything I need to be made aware of in doing this?
Once you have the wheel removed you'll see the 5(?) bolts holding it onto the final drive.

Very visible on the wheel side but on the diff side it seems like removing bolts is also going to remove the plate and then my concern is what's behind that plate?

Back