Missing oil pipe bolt

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

355cid

Reaction score
This a good one. I'm doing the oil pipe o-ring job today and I appear to be missing the fastener that goes through the rear-most pipe coming off the main gallery supply pipe where it attaches to the engine. It's the pipe that looks it has a banjo type fitting on the end of it. Does anybody know what part of the engine this pipe supplys with oil and if you can substitute a standard bolt and what size it needs to be and if not, what the Yamaha part # is because it's not pictured with the main gallery supply pipe on the parts breakdown that I have access to. It wasn't in the oil pan nor was one of the oil pump mounting bolts that was missing.:ummm: Thanks.

I'm wondering if someone maybe stripped the threads out so they left the bolt out instead of putting in a Heli-coil. I've heard this engine run and it sounded good but I can't believe it's still alive with a free-flowing oil leak. Indeed, too many chefs spoil the soup, or however that saying goes.

In my manual this bolt is refered to as a " 8mm union bolt ". Does anybody know if I can substitute anything else or if anybody has one they'd part with, please let me know.:tantrum:. Thanks

I bought this bike cheap because the owner said it was stuck in 1st gear and all that was wrong was the infamous segment issue, an easy fix. When I dropped the pan to recover the missing pin, I encountered the infamous o-ring issue, again, an easy fix. Apparantly whoever was in the bottom end before had 1 too many brewskis while he was putting it back together because he left out 1 oil pump mounting bolt which I found at a hardware store and the 8mm bolt that attaches the rear pipe on the main oil supply pipe. I e-mailed Sean but I havn't heard back from him so if ANYBODY can tell me how long this bolt is it would be a huge help. The hardware store I was at only had a bolt 65mm long and that didn't do it. I'll find some 8mm threaded rod and make that work if that's what it takes!!! Thanks. Larry

does a union bolt have holes in it like a banjo bolt? if so it may not work

goto ronayers and use a 1990 (earliest year they go) for an example and find the part number you are looking for. post it here and we can tell you the width and length. should be the second half of the part number.

I'm sure I have plenty of spares I can send! I am going to be a bit busy this weekend so will try to get time to answer your email tomorrow if I can. I'll need your address/confirmation again in an email and we will try to mail out what you need Monday.

Sean

I looked at the fiche at Ronayers.com and it's the same one I've been looking at. You'd think they would show that bolt with the main oil pipe but they don't. If you go the the crankcase fiche and look at the bottom view it's one of those bolts in that section. It was helpful to find out that the bolt size is coded into the part# tho. That will help. I know it's longer than 65mm. This thing is turning out to be a real challenge. We'll get it fingered out tho. Thanks.

O.K. fellas, here's the latest update in my missing bolt saga. I went to another hardware source today and found an 8mm bolt that's 90mm long and it threaded in without bottoming. I'm soooooo tempted to torque it down and throw the oil pump and the oil pan back on and light 'er up. I just don't know what differentiates a " bolt " from a " union bolt " in Yamahaland. Obviously, whatever this line supplys oil to wasn't getting oil for God knows how long and with a bolt in place there wouldn't be oil pressure free-flowing outta that line. Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.:confused2:

Latest posts

Back