Mixture Screw Extraction Success

VMAX  Forum

Help Support VMAX Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

barber1303

Reaction score
Those of you who have battled your way through this can probably appreciate the photo. What an ordeal. Happy to say that it ended in success. I tried several different methods including left hand drill bits and EZ-outs, but ultimately used a "hammer in" extractor to finally get my stuck mixture screw out of my #4 carb.

Fantastically nerve-racking...

This guy was really stuck, but the hammer in type extractor proved to be worth the $20 cost for a Chinese made tool. Just wanted to share my success for anyone else mired in this dilemma.

LJUSEJ5.jpg

Now to get the mixture screw off the extractor...

Gotta be a joke there, especially seeing all those machines you probably work-on.

A left-hand bit walked mine right-out, after PB Blaster. Hammering something like that into a carb could crack the carb body, if you aren't careful with your force-applied. Pot metal isn't strong at-all.

Glad the left hand bit worked for you. I was hopeful, but this one was tight. I soaked it in PB Blaster for a week (I was on vacation) but ultimately the brass screwdriver slot let go...leaving nothing to with which to apply torque. I used a 1/4" left hand bit to ensure a good center dimple and then progressed through several increasing sizes of left hand bit, but to no avail. All cut through the brass, but didn't turn it. These extractors are set up such that you drill an appropriate sized hole...in this case 1/8" and then the extractor only reams four small channels into the sides of the hole...yielding no expansion pressure from the extractor, but excellent bite for applying torque. The EZout just kept machining the brass...not a good fit for this type of extraction.

BTW...the mixture screw came off the extractor bit pretty easily with some heat.

For the record...I've had my share of experience (failure and success) with broken screws/bolts...this was my first with brass in such a deep sink. It definitely takes a different approach.

Last edited:
Glad the left hand bit worked for you. I was hopeful, but this one was tight. I soaked it in PB Blaster for a week (I was on vacation) but ultimately the brass screwdriver slot let go...leaving nothing to with which to apply torque. I used a 1/4" left hand bit to ensure a good center dimple and then progressed through several increasing sizes of left hand bit, but to no avail. All cut through the brass, but didn't turn it. These extractors are set up such that you drill an appropriate sized hole...in this case 1/8" and then the extractor only reams four small channels into the sides of the hole...yielding no expansion pressure from the extractor, but excellent bite for applying torque. The EZout just kept machining the brass...not a good fit for this type of extraction.

BTW...the mixture screw came off the extractor bit pretty easily with some heat.

For the record...I've had my share of experience (failure and success) with broken screws/bolts...this was my first with brass in such a deep sink. It definitely takes a different approach.[/Q

For the record...I've had my share of experience (failure and success) with broken screws/bolts...this was my first with brass in such a deep sink. It definitely takes a different approach.
sdt354 put a good suggestion out there for everybody (put the extractor in a vice and turn the carbs ) for all those that haven't done this before.I'm sure you prob know this I was just puttin that in for any newbie readers later on. this was a sweet success glad you got her out

I have one
Those of you who have battled your way through this can probably appreciate the photo. What an ordeal. Happy to say that it ended in success. I tried several different methods including left hand drill bits and EZ-outs, but ultimately used a "hammer in" extractor to finally get my stuck mixture screw out of my #4 carb.

Fantastically nerve-racking...

This guy was really stuck, but the hammer in type extractor proved to be worth the $20 cost for a Chinese made tool. Just wanted to share my success for anyone else mired in this dilemma.

LJUSEJ5.jpg
I have one I need to get out. Where did you get the tool and what size is it?

This doesn't sound like any fun at all! I will suggest that we all give these screws a little tweak at least twice a year, that way we know they turn, happy maxing.

I agree. A small squirt of something like WD or Rust Check down the barrels on top of the idle mix screws, then a couple half turns out then back in every so often.
But for those inheriting an old ride from someone, you may face this dilemma. I noticed that for those running Max in the rain, and having the cover plugs removed, by then parking on the side stand, the right side carbs take the hit. Water tends to pool in there and that is where the troubles begin.

one of mine never came out had to use a guide and bit. If this happens make sure your depth never hits the bevel tip area of the hole. I will go back and look for the site and post it, that I got the tap I used to recut the threads if you ever need one I bought 2 contact me and I'll get ya fixed up. Oh I don't always get to my mess everyday so give me a couple but I will respond. Hope this helps someone

one of mine never came out had to use a guide and bit. If this happens make sure your depth never hits the bevel tip area of the hole. I will go back and look for the site and post it, that I got the tap I used to recut the threads if you ever need one I bought 2 contact me and I'll get ya fixed up. Oh I don't always get to my mess everyday so give me a couple but I will respond. Hope this helps someone

Back